I Forge Iron

Hey guys,

now I finally installed the smoke flue I ordered. It is not yet 100% finished, cause it needs to be stabilized, the hole in the roof has to be made tight and the flue needs a roof. But it already does its job great! Thank you again for your good advise!

Here are a few pics of the installation:

installation15092012kle.jpg

If you want to built a similar installation and need some advise feel free to ask!

- Daniel

Did you just use straps to mount it to the rafters or roof, or is it adjustable up and down?
I drilled two holes and put a piece of rebar through it, that lays on the roofing. Then I stabilized it with a threaded rod on the other side over the fire (that way I can e.g. adjust the angle of the flue).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 99ppo. is that pipe galvanised?
Due to the fact that it is called "galvanized spiral tubing" I think it most certainly is galvanized =P. No seriously it is galvanized but the galvanization stands temperatures up to 180°C. At its hottest point it becomes perhaps 80 or 90 celsius, so I don´t worry about that. And I know some smiths that work with this since 20 years or so and they also never faced a problem with the galvanization either...

google image 'roof jack'

By the photo's 99 posted it doesn't look like a roof jack will be needed on the roof, as the pitch looks pretty minimal.

I see that the Roof Jack's can also be a stack flange. I know them to be the standard image of a roof jack which allows you to stay on step roofs. Edited by Jeff Lodge

By the photo's 99 posted it doesn't look like a roof jack will be needed on the roof, as the pitch looks pretty minimal.

I see that the Roof Jack's can also be a stack flange. I know them to be the standard image of a roof jack which allows you to stay on step roofs.
So what would you suggest?

A roof jack should be quite inexpensive. You may need to put an additional layer of metal around the flue, however. The roof jacks would be the easiest too. If not available look in the "home repair book" and install some flanges...then roof cement the flange to the existing roof. The flanges would be screwed to the flue...perfection is not required.

You may need to think about the wind struts for those occasional hurricanes we have down South. Cheap to install now...very expensive to repair when it rips out out the roof in the heavy blow. Just saying....But I still prefer to live down South even though we do have hurricanes.

Looks good too.

Carry on