I Forge Iron

how do i make a flatter

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Haven't made one but what about using a splitting wedge, (for splitting firewood), cut or grind the wedge end off a couple inches to give you a flat surface. Then weld your square plate on the ground end and a 12 inch bar for a handle on the side. The striking end is already soft by design. Seems simple enough but I don't know what I don't know.

Gunny

My flatter and set hammer I made from 4140 in July when I took my most recent blacksmithing class.

I hadn't planned on making one, but  the shop just got the power hammer and big screw press and the instructor mentioned he had some material if anyone wanted to try and make their own hammer. I had to make most of the tooling for the power hammer and screw press as well as the hammer eye drift to do these. We heat treated them after forging.

Picts show punching the hammer eye under the KA 75 and fullering the 2 1/2" 4140 in the screw press for the flatter.

post-25608-0-96732000-1376927359_thumb.j

post-25608-0-89537300-1376927368_thumb.j

post-25608-0-34325300-1376927375_thumb.j

post-25608-0-86640200-1376927395_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Old hammers were harder, new hammers are tempered more, but I still shatter the edges of hammers, and its not like I am denting my anvil all the time. Apparently I just hit hard;-) maybe on colder or thinner stock than I should...

There was not a lot of smithing involved in this flatter, except the bar split and pineapple twist on the handle.

Made from 1/2" bar, 1 1/4" axle and 3/8" (or maybe 7/16") brush hog blade, all pre-heated and welded together....still gets the job done.

I believe I had posted these pics on another thread, but don't remember which one.  No problem here with striking hardened surfaces.

post-44354-0-48339800-1412951885_thumb.j

post-44354-0-43606300-1412951921_thumb.j

New hammers are softer than old, for I believe the stated liability reason. So striking two new big box hammers together may be relatively safe, but an older pair, or a properly heat treated smith made hammer...
Second, why make a flatter out of a sledge?! What are you going to hit it with? You lose a lot of energy to inersa so a 2 1/2 to 3 # hammer might make a good flatter to be used with a striker, but if your hitting it wit a 3# hammer what should you be hitting? Think mor the size of a auto body hammer ( cheep ones are cast iron) a 1" bolt would be a better choice

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one more way to do it that avoids heavy upsetting or drawing out:

Use an engine connecting rod - it already has roughly the shape you want, it just needs flattened.

I took a salvaged rod, removed the end cap from the desired end and cut off the bolt holes.  I cut off the rod to give a end to hammer on, leaving long so I could cut off mushrooming after completed.  Heat the round end in the forge and drive it into the anvil face to flatten and spread, then clean up with the angle grinder and belt sand to true flatness.  Then temper.  I didn't punch for a handle but wired on into the nice pocket that they come with.

post-7182-0-80746200-1414773965_thumb.jp

post-7182-0-32881100-1414773972_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...