I Forge Iron

Restored - 10 inch Buffalo drill press

New toy that I couldn't pass up. Guy in a machine shop had one of his guys redo the whole thing-new bearings etc. And yes, it is in my living room. Trying to decide if I should sell it or keep it. It looked too nice to put in the shop. Apparently the gold lettering is how Buffalo did it originally.

post-1460-0-28565300-1343521881_thumb.jp

Wow Mark!!

That's a tough one. What I love about blacksmithing is using the old tools. But it's always a veritable quandary when you have a pristine tool. Use it or collect it???

I LOVE that it's in your living room. Do you stare at it and call it my precious? Lol

That's one of the few things I like about being single after being married for twenty years. I get to decorate how I want. I have two bookcases full of knife handle wood and blacksmithing collectables. :-)
That drill would be stunning in the corner by my TV....

What`s wrong with you Mark! Tools like that don`t belong in the living room!
Put it in the kitchen like the rest of us do with our old machinery, that way you can share your good fortune with the one you love most. Once moved to the kitchen it will get used every day for things like beating eggs, mixing dough and grinding herbs not to mention drilling holes. Being close to the sink will allow you to keep it clean, shiny and looking like new more easily too.
So wheel it into the kitchen and show your wife how much you really care. Then go out the the shop and forge the egg beater, dough hook and other attachments that will continue to make both your lives easier.
Why just the other day I cobbled together a combination tool post grinder/knife sharpener for the flat belt lathe we have in our Machine shop/kitchen. My wife nearly swooned when she came in and saw it working. she was thinking about how she was going to best put those freshly sharpened knives to use, I can tell. You just can`t put a price on a love like that. :)

• 1 month later...

WOW, I picked up the same style drill press, maker and all at an auction 3 weeks ago. Mine has a single sized pully on it, yours is steped. Mine has no motor mount on it, it was driven by the overhead pully shaft with a 2" belt. it's just heavy as you can't believe, must weigh 50lbs. Its so stiff and crunchy I'll be working on it for a long time. I've never seen one before so I had to get it. Yours is really nice looking I'd leave it in the living room :)

I think it looks nicer in the living room than a torn down 327 or Harley and they both looked just fine. The 327 was laid out like it came in the engine but the Harley took up too much room for that.

Nice drill press, good score and top notch treatment you gave it.

Frosty the Lucky.

post-74-0-75442900-1347370826_thumb.jpg

F.Y.I. Here's my ol' thang, ca 1915-1920 [?], not restored, but it is a big, heavy Buffalo. I put a Jacob's chuck on it. It has a racheted wheel near the feed handle which may have been a self-feed. I haven't figured it out.

It has a gear shift, that little diagonal bar with the handle! Slow and fast, and that's about it.