I Forge Iron

Nothing changes but the scale (NPI)

Thanks for sharing, that's a cool video. I like the centering arms on their press, I'd never seen them before but thought about that same idea while working on my press. The hydraulic system are already there, it'd just be a matter of using two small cylinders on the sides with a good flow divider. It wouldn't work with my i-beam frame, but no reason not to have that on a four post press.

Watching this kind of stuff makes me want to do all sorts of unnecessary things. Most of us don't work at the scale where a manipulator is necessary, but the clamping grip and controlled rotation would be great. You could get the same effect on a smaller scale press by having a rotary table set up vertically in front of it on a mill table,with stepper motors hooked up to both tables. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHKbUYn_61o&feature=fvwrel, but you could move it back a forth from the press. Stick a scrolling four jaw chuck on there and you'd be all set. Completely unnecessary for the work most people on here do, but it would be great for a small production shop and wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

I'm going to go work on my press now, instead of dreaming up more things I don't need for it.

Thanks for sharing, that's a cool video. I like the centering arms on their press, I'd never seen them before but thought about that same idea while working on my press. The hydraulic system are already there, it'd just be a matter of using two small cylinders on the sides with a good flow divider. It wouldn't work with my i-beam frame, but no reason not to have that on a four post press.

Watching this kind of stuff makes me want to do all sorts of unnecessary things. Most of us don't work at the scale where a manipulator is necessary, but the clamping grip and controlled rotation would be great. You could get the same effect on a smaller scale press by having a rotary table set up vertically in front of it on a mill table,with stepper motors hooked up to both tables. Something like this: [media=]
, but you could move it back a forth from the press. Stick a scrolling four jaw chuck on there and you'd be all set. Completely unnecessary for the work most people on here do, but it would be great for a small production shop and wouldn't be too difficult to set up.

I'm going to go work on my press now, instead of dreaming up more things I don't need for it.

This could be great, I bet you could get a setup like that to forge tong blanks, put an induction coil in the mix, drop a blank in then run the program using the controller to run the press also, would be a cool tool!