I Forge Iron

Home build induction heater

Too bad they couldn't execute their plans.  Talk about stringing us along!  It is hard to turn ideas into a business... I wonder if they should just sell plans... Or open it up for benefit of the community.  If you look at past innovators in our community, they sold plans, demonstrated at Abana conferences, etc.. Think air hammers, forges, presses, burners, etc.. We can still hope, but looking more like a dream

It is unfortunate. I had spoken to one of these fellows on youtube not too long ago - they mentioned plans for full sail ahead due for next year (2016). Whether that's true or not, I can't say for sure.

Introducing an affordable induction forge to the blacksmithing community is going to send us all soaring. From what I have seen induction capable of, this is like introducing the Little Giant. We might have a chance to catch up on all of our projects .............. just kidding 

I was told something similar over a year ago, something like as soon as I have finished my present work around thanksgiving I will concentrate on getting this done.

since all I have seen is a little text about safety added to the git hub site, I had already waited over a year.

gave up and bought one for less than $1000 inc delivery even though I would have preferred to get this one

• 3 weeks later...

hello, just stumbled upon this thread & forum while searching the net, while I'm disappointed at the lack of a conclusion as of yet, I am quite please to at least of found information on induction forges that isn't 5-10 years old and linked to the dearly departed!

Mega kudos to reactor forge here, I'm very impressed with your accomplishments and I look forward to the completion of your work!

it was 18 months ago reactor forge last did anything here and since then a little text has been added to the github about safety.

I would not hold your breath waiting for this

last message of mine he replied to he was complaining about getting 10 emails in 14 days from people interested and he could not cope ( I have had 10 in the last 2 hours on a sunday night )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I haven't read this entire thread, but I have a question if no one minds. Is it possible to take an induction heater, such as space heater, and convert it into an induction forge? If so, how difficult would it be? Thanks.

nothing new posted for well over a year so dont expect a reply soon.

induction heaters heat metal not air so a space heater maybe heating a metal object and then air blown around it to act as a spaceheater, not an efficient way to go

you would need to know enough to build your own to be able to redesign a space heater ( and I had never heard of one before )

Yes iron drarf, I have an induction style space heater. At least that's what they call it. Its one of those imitation fire place/wood burner heaters. I guess from what you are telling me is that it wont be an easy thing to build without electronics experience. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I think you will find it is not an induction heater ( that induces a current in a piece of metal within the coil ) but a convection heater that heats air by means of an element as well as radiating heat from it.

post a picture of the heater and one of the plate with the specs on if you can

If your electric fireplace is actually an induction heater, not impossible just unlikely the induction field is only effective on the glowing element and isn't going to be much but a fire hazard if you try modifying it. Same for an induction stove, they are indeed induction heaters, the mechanism sets up a high frequency AC electro magnetic field that excites the atoms in metals in it. It may boil a couple gallons of soup in a couple minutes but it's NOT going to heat steel like a forge.

Exactly how does not knowing anything about electronics makes you think you should try modifying electronics?

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

I think you will find it is not an induction heater ( that induces a current in a piece of metal within the coil ) but a convection heater that heats air by means of an element as well as radiating heat from it.

post a picture of the heater and one of the plate with the specs on if you can

I don't know, I only know they call it an induction heater. I have an induction cooktop as well. IT uses electromagnetism to cook food.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

If your electric fireplace is actually an induction heater, not impossible just unlikely the induction field is only effective on the glowing element and isn't going to be much but a fire hazard if you try modifying it. Same for an induction stove, they are indeed induction heaters, the mechanism sets up a high frequency AC electro magnetic field that excites the atoms in metals in it. It may boil a couple gallons of soup in a couple minutes but it's NOT going to heat steel like a forge.

Exactly how does not knowing anything about electronics makes you think you should try modifying electronics?

Frosty The Lucky.

I didn't think I should modify it, I only asked about it. I have enough understanding to ask questions. That's how you learn.

On 7/21/2016 at 9:57 PM, the iron dwarf said:

the cooktop will be an induction heater if it says so, the space heater is very unlikely, if you want an induction heater first make sure you have enough power for one, then buy a ready made one as they have come down in price a lot in the last couple of years

Agreed, calling it an "induction" anything is marketing, they're hoping to coat tail on the induction range market.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe should start a new thread, but since this one has a bunch of history, I figure an update on the project belongs here. For those who haven't read the prior pages, the short story is that Daniel was a blacksmith and his brother Josh an electronics buff. Josh came up with a prototype induction forge that Daniel used seriously for a couple of years, however Daniel is not currently involved with smithing. Josh hasn't lost sight of the forge's potential however...

Because I'd been following Josh's induction forge on GitHub, the other day I got word that he's starting work on the project once again. See https://www.patreon.com/ReactorForge for the most recent updates as well as a means of participating. I was quite pleased to see this project resurrected, and after a short conversation with Josh, I think that this time it is going to bear fruit for those of us who are interested in having an alternative the import units. He is committed to the open source idea for someone who wants to do the whole thing from sourcing components through construction, as well as the possibility for some type of kit. I'm of the opinion that kits done in batches so that he and buyers can take advantage of some quantity breaks might be the best approach, though time will tell. I know that I'm much more inclined to put money and effort into something that I can potentially repair and maybe upgrade down the line rather than an import that may require reverse engineering should it break. Better still, he's shooting to have cost be similar and maybe even better than the imports. What the heck, I figure it's worth sending Josh a few bucks a month for a while to support and encourage this project! Anybody else up for it?

--Larry

Hey all,

I just wanted to get on and personally thank everyone on I Forge Iron for their patience, even if you had none which is totally ok! I have had a lot of changes personally some really good and some difficult. For the last 4 years, I've run my own business, raised teenagers, and have done way more traveling than I care to do. I never gave up on the open source high power induction heater, ReactorForge, but it had to be put to the side for a while. I'm still extremely busy but I am finding ways to manage my time that will allow me to be with my family more and work on this awesome project!

I'm not asking for financial support, this project is moving forward with or without it, if you choose to be a patron I thank you. However, your feedback and suggestions will be invaluable. I'm not a metalsmith and I don't want to just guess at what is best for all of you, right down to the size and placement of the last button and screw.

I encourage everyone interested to +FOLLOW me on Patreon for regular updates, there is quite a bit of information on there already if you haven't checked it out yet! I might also make a new thread on here if that is ok. Forge Ahead!!!

-Joshua Campbell

• 2 weeks later...