I Forge Iron

Hi
got one of those beeping machines !

made a video

heating a iron rod... about 3/4 inch up to a white heat in no time at all

heating a piece of wrought iron up to a sparkling heat... got some borax on it and it melts fast

so far i've welded up a couple billets of damascus... it forgewelds very nicely...

also i've twisted a couple of bars in it... which is easily done

- you have to get a coil that is somewhat close to the work size... but for making knives like i do... its no prob at all

Hi John
the heat is bad !! but i can say that the induction forge didn't add much to that... I'll say that its really taking over much of the forge work... I've got to get some more copper pipe and make more coils...

Hi Daniel
I got this heater from Larry at Monstermetal ... he's bringing them in ... he was very good to deal with !

take care
Greg

• 1 year later...

Good Morning Dave,

There is no fear of that happening, There is a safety built in, If you touch two sections of the coils, a breaker circuit kicks in and you have to press reset/restart.

I use a small marine bilge pump for the water circulation, Pond pumps don't have enough pressure/volume.

Heat something red hot, take it out of the coils, you can touch the coils with your hand, they are cold.

Absolutely Magic and quiet. No residual heat to heat the shop, Shucks!!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

most of the time i just hold the bar, steady !     just like Neil says ... its gotta breaker on it and kicks off the moment you touch the coils

- but after your coils get old n cruddy ...  doesn't seem to be so conductive ..!   

think i was putting a piece of inswool on the bottom for abit...  it can be a pain in the butt, as the wool sometimes sticks to the work piece

still use the machine just about every day...    have to blow it out on occasion, due to the heavy amount of grinding dust in my shop...   i get scared that it'll suck in too much of that dust ...    been thinking of making a box to go around it with furnace filters ..

haven't burnt out a coil, yet...    and i use mine for forgewelding all the time... borax hits the coils.. sparks ...   and still their ok ..

if the machine were to blow up...   i'd have to get another ...   you get so XXXXXXXX spoiled

take care

Greg

let us know how it goes !

Watch the language please