I Forge Iron

Trying to figure out how to get trained.

Hi, I am Jacob and am very interested in smithing/metal working/machining for a career. I am a senior in Highschool and am trying to figure out the next step in the process. My main love is history and would love to be able to incorporate that into my career, whether it is through metal restoration/historical weaponry restoration or recreation/ etc. I would like to go to college, but that is not a requirement. So, my question is, "what should I look for in a school/trade school/apprenticeship? Where should I look for a good one (of the above)? Is there anything you guys suggest I do in preparation?

While I really like swords/weapons/knives (Blind Horse Knives rocks, Arms of Valor/Gen 2 swords rocks) it seems like a trickier career path, and more of a hobby. My dad believes that getting a certification in Machining would be a great way to get a consistent job if other pursuits don't work. His idea is that I would get trained in Machining, and do smithing more as a hobby/side note. Is this a good idea? Or is knife/weapon smithing generally pretty safe job-wise?

Also, so far I have found two schools that seem to work: NAIT, Colorado School of Mines. Are these pretty decent schools?

Thanks for the help! And if anyone wants to add anything feel free! Thanks!

After graduating high school and not really knowing what I wanted to do I ended up at the community college taking courses in machine shop. They had a heat treat room that was pretty well equipped. It had several forges and anvils which I had never been exposed to before. I think that it was probably the best choice I could have made. I learned to run machines, manual & CNC, as well as grind, weld, auto cad. I was there for about two years and took a number of other courses as well, electrical, layout, sheet metal, hydraulics, welding...it gave me a good foundation, although I never did get the machining cert. I also have never worked in a machine shop though most of my employers have had at least a mill and lathe. Without my schooling I would probably still be working for the man at a dead end job.

I say if you can afford to go to school do it. At least a couple of courses. Another cool thing about vocational classes is that you can usually work for as long as the instructor is there. On days that I didn't need to go to work after class I would put in 12 hours at school making tools and other home projects. You can really get a lot out of it if you have good experienced instructors.

I spent a year apprenticed to one of the top swordmakers in the USA back in the early 1980's Even with a 2+ year backlog on orders most of the time he could qualify for foodstamps. (I lived off my savings from working in the oilpatch).

Machining is a career that will be having an upswing in employment according to the studies and is one quite handy for smithing and blademaking especially for making guards and tooling.

I would heartily endorse getting a good machining certification and letting that *pay* for your bladesmithing equipment.

Now if you are in the USA you might think of taking some of the courses offered by the American Bladesmithing Society in your "off time" to keep the fire alive and help speed up your learning bladesmithing.

Colorado School of Mines is well respected in Geology and Engineering; I am not up on their machining program.

To be honest I don't know much about the different schools. I went to the community college because it was cheap and I could still live at home. I think the tuition only cost a couple hundred dollars a semester at the time (10 years ago). At one point in my senior year I had signed up to go to Wyotech automotive school. Very glad I didn't as all the dealerships around here have closed down since then. I probably would still be paying the student loan off for the trade school. I think it was close to 20 grand.

Although many "production" machining jobs have gone offshore, Tool & Die Maker jobs will always be available in the United States.

And the same goes for Welders, because so much of that work is performed "on site".

If you have the ability and opportunity, an Engineering Degree will keep you employed, in high paying positions, for as long as you choose to work.

If that's not going to happen, then a good Trade School is a far better choice than any kind of "specialized" apprenticeship.

I doubt there are more than half-a-dozen full-time Sword-smiths in the entire country.

That's definitely a HOBBY, ... not a career.

If you really want to learn how to move metal...effectively....go to as many BS schools and expositions as possible. Always have an open eye for the subtle things. And if you desire to move the the most effective way then spend a few days with Brian Brazeal and Lyle Wynn. Search the internet and those two names come up quite often.
Not putting down any other instructor by any means, but many will say the same thing about those two guys.

Yep...it is my $.02 worth!

Enjoy

I take it that there are NO shop classes offered at your High School? If there are any, take them if you are still enrolled(hard to tell if you just graduated or still have your senior year ahead). I guess my students are lucky that I still teach in a full metal shop and a full wood shop. Their foundation knowledge has led many into lifelong careers.

If you are set on working with your hands, learn a welding, machining, plumbing, electrician or other craft trade to earn your living. Pursue your smithing work as you get time, money, and a place to do it. There are plenty of schools to learn the basics of smithing. That is the place to start. It is not as easy as it looks. And takes a lifetime of learning.

I have many students who take metal shop eager to make a weapon, which BTW we cannot do in a public school. But they do get hammer time to learn the basics. A few have gone on to gather their own equipment and do their own work.

Definitely go to a good trade school and get certified in what looks good. Blacksmithing is fun, but it is very difficult to make a living at it..... and most of the big shops do a lot more welding and machining than they do traditional fire-n-hammer stuff.

If you want to make a good living and be in need in the community, look into machining, welding, electrical and/or HVAC. Any of those gigs can net you a very comfortable living and they will always be in need. Getting a bachelor's in whatever means spending four years in school and then coming out with a ton of debt. Getting certified as a welder or machinist means spending less than two years in school and coming out with significantly less debt and a job that pays 35k/yr or better.

And don't be afraid to move. Living in Florida might be nice, but working in the oilfields in the dakotas can double your income, for example, and that sets you up for the long-term. Try to live on cash, not credit, and sock away as much as you can while the boom is there. Go back to school and get more certifications so you stay current on new machines and technology.

Or you can do like I did and screw it all up.....

Years ago I met a young man who was demonstrating at the yearly blacksmith event in Delaware. He said that he went to a university for a degree in design, then went to Europe as a journeyman in shops in more than one country there. After that he returned to the U.S. to open his own shop doing high-end artist-blacksmith projects mostly for the homes of the wealthy.

It depends on what you want to eventually have as a goal. What category of blacksmithing are you planning for yourself, and what do you have to do to get there? My advice is to find someone successfully making a living at what you want to do, and ask them how they got there.

Yes to Turley Forge. Also if by chance the simple beauty of an anvil and hammer has grabbed your imagination, you may want to think about being a farrier/ horseshoer. Plenty of demand,good money,self employed,and working 24-7 withhammer in hand upon an anvil. Great base to move to more traditional forging as time goes by.

Almost all communities have a 'votec' school around.Some are under a local Jr. college, some stand on their own. Look at what they offer. I doubt you will find blacksmithing courses per se, but you will find welding, machining, auto body work etc. All these are good foundation education with the added benefit that you can get a real paying job after you finish. Then apply this base knowledge to your desire to blacksmith which you can do on the side.

Just my 2 cents...but without some major finacial support to buy equipment and support yourself , you might find blacksmithing a tough road to start out in. I find it a great hobby and have looked at it from a 'supplemental income' cottage industry perspective.

Machining and welding are both valualble, if not essential in a modern fabrication, architechtural or blademaking blacksmith shop. And they are in-demand, stand-alone careers. Most shops that have stayed in business and profitable in the economic downturn have done it by being nimble, and employing folks with a multitude of skills.

The community college system with in-state tuition breaks is the best bang for the buck going in those two areas. But it will not make you a seasoned professional, just someone with enough up-to-date skills to be worth hiring. First look for a school in your state with the most up-to-date program, only then widen your search if necessary. Machining went digital & CNC years ago, and automated welding & cutting processes controlled by a pendant or laptop is gaining fast, especially in the power generation field. Advanced skills mean advanced pay. Orbtial welder operators and traveling Electronics Technicians (E-Techs) who can set up and troubleshoot machines can make six figures.

your dad is right If you want to find more about blacksmithing check out FABA Florida artist Blacksmithing Assoc. there is the north east meeting is in Barberville which is about an hour away from you the demonstrator is a knife maker it is Saturday July 7th starts at 9:00 am and bring a lunch it is at the pioneer settlement. http://pioneersettlement.org/ and the 28th the meeting is at my shop in Sarasota which is about 2 hours away from you. if you need more info feel free to write me there are some great trade schools in the state and in your area

Listening to your Dad is good advice.

The United States Navy has what I think would be an outstanding program to train you in welding (actually more than one program). This said, you should talk to your Dad yes. Machine tech training and as mentioned electronics training to repair machines are both outstanding. You appear to have your head on your shoulders and this is good. We all were young (believe it or not) once. You have the world at your fingertips. I salute your seeking knowledge here. Good luck.

Hey, I just signed up for a weekend intro course in Virginia, and am really excited! I have a few question though:

(Here is the class btw; http://vablacksmithing.org/classes#intro_week) I am doing the hook/wall class on the 14-15.)

I know he talks about basics/smith shop practice etc. but is there anything I should expect outside of the description?

I can't seem to find anything about supplies. If I can't find anything online should I assume supplies/tools will be provided? If not, what should I bring?

If I do need to bring my own supplies, what type do you guys recommend as cheap/beginner tools and gloves, etc.?

Are classes like this generally pretty big?

Are the instructors generally pretty helpful?

Is this a decent course/school?

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.