I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

"im sorry, I dont have the ability you describe"

I beg to differ, good sir.  I have looked at many a rusty hitch ball and never once thought it would make for a good cheekbone or chin!  Making that tail out of welded chain was simply brilliant.  The mane?  Yea, I'd never have seen that coming!

Truly there are few in the world with an eye like you possess and I'm sure looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.  Thank you for bringing this into the world.

This is truly inspirational to us younger metal workers, it gives us something to aspire to and also to look up to. You sir are one of the masters that make this worthwhile and I hope that one day I will be producing work to a standard similar to your own.

Thank you Vaughn T , Razzputin, Gibbo and Jacob for those kind words.

Well ......its nearly over. Today the parents do a final inspection. Hopefully the mounting structure will be insalled in concrete in the next week.
Here are some shots taken at home ready for the inspection:( excuse the photography i am just playing with the foto editor programme)
cheers
Andrew

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_04441.JPG

Brilliant Mate, just Brilliant.
Where are they going to be set up?
You mentioned somewhere earlier that the whole structure is to be tilted so they are rising, that still the plan?

thanks whirly....No ive given that idea the flick. the parents and I are very happy with the current stance. Im going to install it at the Shepparton pony Club on the Australia Day (26 Jan) Long weekend. Im worried that the temperature might make another Total Fire Ban which would make it an offence (and stupid) to weld it together on the site. I might see if I can get the whole area wet down (the dry dead grass) by a fire truck. The club intends to place one huge log under the horse as the obstacle being jumped. this will hide most of the central pole.

Gibbo ....where would any of us be without VB longnecks! ( an Australian Beer)

Beautiful sculpture Andrew, throughout the process, your execution, attention to detail, and enormous talent to bring the material to life has been a joy to watch, thanks for sharing. I love the log idea as well, should complete the sculpture perfectly. What did the weight come in at and does it come apart for transport? 

Beautiful sculpture Andrew, throughout the process, your execution, attention to detail, and enormous talent to bring the material to life has been a joy to watch, thanks for sharing. I love the log idea as well, should complete the sculpture perfectly. What did the weight come in at and does it come apart for transport? 

thank you Dick(Seldom) and Michael

Yes the sculpture still is made from 25 seperate slip together elements . As I grow older I imagine the number will increase as my strength fails .i estimate the total weight to be around 500 - 600 kg
.I try to keep each part less than 30 kg .
I have now purchased good quality step ladders and expanding tressle work platforms so the assembly is less difficult lifting overhead etc ...........yes we all gunna get old .....may as well adapt as it happens
cheers
Andrew

Ah yes vb tallies are the best I have acquired the vb stubby fridge you press the vb symbol and it plays the vb tune and spits out a beer it's just a pity it keeps on emptying and I have to pay for more . So 500 600 kgs ya reckon that's hefty how ya gonna transport her and will it be set in concrete before or after transport?

Gibbo....... the inspection went very well , The parents noticed apects of both horse and rider that were personal and known ONLY to them....cant say much more ,......other than they were very happy.

I have allready given a square pole and sub structure to a concretor. his engineer will design a slab that will have 4 lifting points . In 5 years time the club intends to move (including the sculpture) So it will be a crane job , and I will not be involved in that shift. However , one week after the inner square post is installed by the concretor I will take my 25 (i think ) piece horse etc and slip my frame pole over the top of the one in concrete . then I will do a small tac welds to hold the 25 pieces as I assemble them. The rest will be history!!!!!!!!(spider infestation ,rust and vandalism) I will use 2 'utes' and a trailer to ransport the sculpture and a Gen / Welder combo as well as tressles / ladders etc
cheers

They would be so touched mate you nailed it but sounds like there's a fair bit more work on the install but it will all be worth it when the last tacs done,spiders I will allow to call it home, rust adds character but if anyone vandalizes this peice i will personally drive out there and kick some ass,let us know when she's installed I'm gonna bring the wife & kiddies out to see it in person.

Wow ! It's been a pleasure seeing the project done. Love every detail of it and I know how much effort, time, hard work and sweat have been poured into creating that masterpiece. I cannot imagine all the different kinds of scraps that have been put to life through your work but you did the impossible. One project that I will not forget. Cheers to you Sir!

www.sawblade.com

Wow ! It's been a pleasure seeing the project done. Love every detail of it and I know how much effort, time, hard work and sweat have been poured into creating that masterpiece. I cannot imagine all the different kinds of scraps that have been put to life through your work but you did the impossible. One project that I will not forget. Cheers to you Sir!

www.sawblade.com

thank you

ironman 50.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone , well the sculpture is in its final destination.

Below is a link to a newspaper article that covered the story. I have attached some photos (courtesy of PCAV NORTH EAST ZONE)
I did not attend the opening as i considered it a very personal and private affair for taylors friends and famil    I am told it was very well recieved> what made me most happy are the smiling faces of the children>

Link to article:

http://www.mmg.com.au/local-news/shepparton/sculpture-stands-in-honour-of-taylor-1.41435

unveiling7_zpsa839605e.jpg

unveiling2_zpsb6c417d5.jpg

unveiling5_zps7a4b5b29.jpg

unveiling3_zps7cfae369.jpg

unveiling1_zpsa45ea3b7.jpg

DSC05303_zps985d5720.jpg

DSC05236_zps5e3dec7c.jpg