I Forge Iron

So you want to build a horse

Are you keeping track of how many shoes you have used? ^_^

I really like the flexible joints, at what point do you lock them in? Have you ever used kinetic motion in the finished work (motor, wind driven)?

Dont know how many horseshoes. The ones on the riders thigh are miniature with the names of family members and friends stamped into the horseshoe.
The arm flexi joints are locked at this stage, the wrist is not. The arm slides horizontaly into a housing in the shoulder and on each hand there is a steel pin that will connect into the horses neck. Once its all connected I will weld it all up.

The idea of kinetic art I have thought about. Given the flexability I could leave in a human form sculpture I have toyed with the idea of a marionette. with wires going up to a pair of 'H' frames ( maybe held by BIG hands) These frame 'controllers ' would be moved by a set of 6 - 8 small pnuematic rams. which would connect to a control box via a bundle of 1/4" pnumatic "spagetti" lines. what doyou think????????????

No, I am serious. I was an art major a long time ago and I can tell that you have a gift that very few have. You have mastered the elements of design and you now can apply them fluently to carry out a piece. It is just fantastic! As others have commented similarly, to see some one who really "gets it, or has it" quickly identifies those who do not. It also indicates those who are trying to bluff their artisitc ability through an untrianed eye. I feel as though I am a creative individual, others might argue against it, but I can tell you that this is humbling to me. Not only are you a master of form but your usage of texture in this application just provides an incredible depth to these pieces. I stare at these images regularly and I see new features all of the time. Keep up the good work! and keep the pictures coming.

What wd&mlteach said. I've too have had a little art & art history training (no degrees, however) but I concur. Not even Jackson Pollock simply threw paint at a canvas without a plan. Argue that its junk (I tend to agree ;) ) but contrary to many beliefs, one can't just throw paint at a canvas and have it look like a Pollock. Understand, I'm not comparing your work to Pollock, rather the idea that to many folks, your medium is useless scrap junk. I challenge that few that even see the value in your medium, could come close to putting it into the creations you do. Carry on, Sir!

THANK YOU Dodge and WD&MLTeach for the kind words.
Jawno ......Yes I agree it would be a safety nightmare and if you made it safe for the public it might look crap. I just thought of a solution : make a monkey puppet and put it in a cage so the public cant hurt themselves.....??????. maybee

Here is the development of back and chest. The 333 numbers have some signifigance to the buyers and had to be included.

back2a.JPG

back2b.JPG

back2c.JPG

chest1a.JPG

chest1b.JPG

Thank you Seldom I hope you continue to enjoy the show! Alecko 7 I hope that the photos will be of some help to other artists who are working with scrap metal for the first time or others that are a bit more ambitious and want to make a BIG ....................something?????? . The proceedure is the same.

here is progress. ...... I have been avoiding the rider's( Taylor) head as I think this will be my biggest challenge . I guess I betta pull my socks up and get into it!!!!!! cheers Andrew

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_03212.JPG

IMG_03231.JPG

"I have been avoiding the rider's( Taylor) head as I think this will be my biggest challenge" . Yeah Mate, while watching the progress, I figured this would be a biggy to get right. Not to worry, as I know you're up to it and will keep at it until it is right. Such amazing work.......

Thank you

Dale, Knots, Whirly and Swifden

Ive been collecting bits that might make the face of a pretty 16 year old girl . I will show you them in the next week. Im hoping to capture youth , concentration and beauty . We shall see ....................................................................(fingers crossed)