I Forge Iron

Question about Bull 5-port valve

The valve used in the Bull hammers (original and new design)

Two-pressure-output
(4 Way) Valve
with Five Ports and Two Positions

post-3873-0-49202300-1340191467_thumb.pn
This is not spring loaded.

The original design uses two (3 port) pilot control valves to control the spool and the new design uses one (5 port) control valve to control the spool.

post-3873-0-62902800-1340191926_thumb.jp

This Parker counterpart is sold a MSC.........

Description: Stacking Solenoid Valves; Type: 4-Way Body Ported Valve; Actuator Type: Double Air Pilot; Number of Positions: 2 Position; Valve Type: 4-Way; Return Type: Pilot; CV Rating: 5.900

0968741-11.jpgoptions_arrow.gifAdd To Cart options_arrow.gifAdd to List options_arrow.gifEmail To A Friend options_arrow.gifPrint this page PARKERW-91.gifMSC #: 09687419 Order Qty of 1 = (1) Unit Your Price: $142.95 ea In stock: 6 Mfr: Parker Hannifin Mfr #: B743000XXA Qty: btn_addtolist.gif

Thanks guys. This is a great site to be able to access folks such as you.

Ciladog, clarification please. I assume you mean that you have changed from the two roller valves shown on each side of your telescoping rod-cam to a single roller valve with one air inlet, two ports to feed the spool valve at each end of the spool valve, and two exhaust ports. How did you rig this up? I can't tell for sure whether you mean that or that you have set up the spool valve as sketched and photographed. Also, are you running different air pressures on each side of the cylinder piston?

Thanks guys. This is a great site to be able to access folks such as you.

Ciladog, clarification please. I assume you mean that you have changed from the two roller valves shown on each side of your telescoping rod-cam to a single roller valve with one air inlet, two ports to feed the spool valve at each end of the spool valve, and two exhaust ports. How did you rig this up? I can't tell for sure whether you mean that or that you have set up the spool valve as sketched and photographed. Also, are you running different air pressures on each side of the cylinder piston?

No John, I have not changed the control that uses two control valves. I am saying the new Bull design (cylinder on top) uses the single 5 port control valve and does not have the telescoping control rod. Perhaps someone with an newer designed Bull could post a pic for you. It's one valve that has one roller and is actuated by a lever that is attached to the tup through a simple linkage.

The diagram is just standard for the 5 port, 2 position valve. In the picture the two top connections go to each side of the cylinder. The bottom center is air supply and the other two connections on the bottom are cylinder exhaust. The spool control connections are not hooked up in the picture yet but they are the small connections on top at each end of the valve.

Reguardless of what type of control used the spool would be connected the same way.

The pressures are the same on both sides of the cylinder.

Thanks ciladog for the additional information and the clarifications.

Your presentation was the first explanation of the Bull that I've seen and it has been useful. Your hand lever control through the top of your valve cabinet is very clever. I share with you great admiration for Tom Troszak's design intellect.