I Forge Iron

Well maintained they do go on for ever, which is a pita when you sell parts for them!

6' of packing tape if the box is worn, a valve disc occasionally and that's it !

Ive seen them do 50 years as 'dummy' hammers (pre form hammers) in drop forges and still work OK - they tend to go full pelt, all day when used like this.

There were lots of little subtleties in their construction that you would never know about. Cylinder material has a smidge of Nickel in the CI for example. Radi on the rams were hand mopped with compound and felt to remove stress raisers, I could go on for ages about it ! Im leaning all this from the old timers, and putting it into practice when we make spares (for the ones that haven't been maintained!!)

its a sort of cryptic topic name, i only clicked on it bc of the randomness of "two days time travel" if it had said say "2 day roll back on postes" or "2days of lost posts" that would have been an a bit more of a eye catcher from the information stand point

John N, your picture tour of your facility, posted quite a while ago, would be very nice to see again.  I remember being impressed with the cleanliness and array of big machines.  The clearspace machines seem to be unique to the self-contained hammer world and I'd like to see more of them.

Here ya go John L !

Shot a slightly clearer vid showing the single blow (steam hammer'esq) control on a 3 cwt we have just overhauled. Cant give it a proper bump up and down in auto working as it is barely pinned to the deck, and the 'anvil' is just a loose block !

The main thing I think we can take from this video is that I need a haircut, and could smile more :D

Its a Massey, all massey pneumatic hammers can do that, thats why we all love them so much.  They have an air reservoir to facilitate single blow operation.  The in slides model can also do single blow but I don't think they had a res, I could be wrong.

You're a game man John, with that flywheel whizzing round just behind you, when we first put in our 5 we forged a new top block for it without having the guard on the flywheel, made the hammer driver keep his wits about him.

Phil

Thanks, Forgemaster. It is an understatement to say I have learned an enormous amount of information from this thread. The essay by Mr. Massey in about 1903 to the Manchester Engineering Society (see pages up in this thread) indicates his company's experience with steam hammers prior to their budding work on self-contained hammers. The clearspace models appear to be the best of both worlds! Here in the USA the Nazel (Beche) machines had a clamping mode but no air reservoir. I am unaware of any Masseys here.

Ive got a 6000lb & 4000lb Erie in the shop ;)

John L - when I get a bit of slack at work I will scan the technical documents on how a Clear Space hammer works and shoot it across to you. I was first introduced to them 22 years ago, and to be honest Ive only got a shallow knowledge of the actual working of the valving, its very complicated, Still a lot of head scratching at times ! *

Phil is right on the money - A CSPH has an internal resovoir at about 40 psi that the compressor piston pumps up. This is used for the single blow operation. The earlier 'slides' hammers can do a single blow like in the vid above, but it has no 'whump' behind it !

* I can diagnose, fix, build and troubleshoot them, but the actual air workings are still a bit of a mystery sometimes!