I Forge Iron

odd that a 700# should have such a small frame and anvil base in comparison to my 300(ish)#

(unless your child is a giant :P )

all the parts of my hammer would not fit on one car trailer, the overall complete weight of mine would be around 5 tonne?

Woody, that is one thing that makes moving these nice. You can disassemble the main pieces and you aren't picking up that much weight. I calculated the anvil without the sow block as around 5600 lbs. it is 20" diameter.

Michael, when I get a chance I will photograph the treadle linkage. The piece on the trailer was some kind of industrial sized shop built, screw/ straightening press. From the same shop, to neat to leave for the scrapers.
In front of that is the sow block :-) Man am I glad that is there, after watching you make yours. Hats off to you there, for persistence.

Just want to give a shout out to my friend who bought out this shop, and rescued this beauty from the scrapers.

Michael, this is not a great pic, I will take some detail shots later.

As far as the price, $500 and some tooling in trade. Woody you have me beat by a long shot :-) I hope to beat you in the setup time :-0 My goal is to be hitting by the end of July. I can't start digging the foundation until late April, because of the size projects I have going on inside the shop right now it's not feasible.

post-6592-0-21253900-1364262029_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i found this item near me, possibly built to run on steam, maybe air (it runs on air at the moment)

but i have never seen anything like it......

forging press?

i have 3 days to make up my mind...

machinery for tender 2013'' target='_blank'>machinery for tender 2013>machinery for tender 2013

titled "large air hammer"

That piece, titled "large air hammer" looks very cool. Not sure it is an air hammer though.

Update on my progress. I have the hammer cleaned and I'm preparing to paint it. My philosophy on these old machines is that a lifetime of service in a usually industrial setting gives them the right to a good cleaning and repaint.

I'm still deciding upon the location of the hammer, it will either be in the forging section of the old shop or in the new shop. I'm awaiting approval of a 40 x 60 addition to the existing shop. I will know if that has been approved in a week.

Best to you all, stay hydrated :)

• 2 weeks later...