I Forge Iron

Big hammers are cheap to buy setting them up and running them is another story. I was at an auction about 12 years ago at a large foundry the 3 self contained air hammers 110lb -300lb went for top dollar. The two steam hammers which where both over 1000lb went for $500 each to the scrappers. Everything else in the shop went as one lot.

Thanks Scurry, two times is better than none!

Crete is in, wood next week.

I think we may have a new leader in the power hammer test soon :P

I noticed that you have not isolated the plinth to the wall, why? Would not it be better to isolate the plinth from the floor with material capable of absorbing the vibrations?

Hey Danger,(is danger your middle name?) its a 7cwt massey Mk1 (means it has a round ram with 2 flats 180 deg opposed, rather than a round ram with 4 flats 90 degrees apart) its hammer that we own No 10, not hammer no 10 in the workshop. I have no real plan to install it it is just a spare for our other 7, (and I really brought it so as I have more hammers than Moonie) and they don't make new masseys any more and there is only so many in Oz so you have to grab what is available when it is offered. (otherwise they tend to get scrapped)

Phil

It was, just no picture, 1/2" fiberboard sheathing. I am still have problems with stuff falling of the walls and shelves ;)

okay. you used this product?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard

I have recommended this to insulate the soil and walls from concrete plinth

http://www.edilia2000.it/Stiferite-GT_6-9-23398,2041.html

10 cm. soil
5 cm. for the walls

"I did have a small problem forging yesterday, at one point forging on some 3" square I found myself wishing I had a bit more power! "
See, you should have bought one of my 1,500# Niles-Bemment-Pond hammers for sure. They went for little more than scrap prices here in town with a cylinder rebuild kit for one of them. Reading all this sure depresses me, I hate my state of health as my "big hammer" is a one pounder! :P

Did those headers/upsetters come out of Bisbee originally? I may have one of the dies that goes with one of them. I bought it along with a lot of other tooling several years back when the A.A.B.A. members bought a bunch of stuff from a guy in Safford who originally liquidated the blacksmith shop in Bisbee (Lavender Pit).
Dan