I Forge Iron

My tools - Brazeal style

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent video and photos tubbe. Your production values are very high both for your forgings and your documentation.What kind of power hammer is that? I've never quite seen a top die holding system like that on a power hammer. Also your wire wrap on you ball fuller I quite like. Where is the joint in the handle, It looks like one piece.

Keep them coming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello again!

I think I will end this thread with showing my latest creation.

I finally managed to forge my first serious rounding hammer. I did it by myself with help of my trusty old power hammer. Tried to document the process, and the video is down below. The result is not 100% perfect but a good tool I think - a craftsman can always find flaws in his/hers own work I guess....

20140704_1_rounding_hammer.jpg

Here is also a short vid on how I made the rounding/cupping bolster I used

I should be so lucky to forge such an "imperfect" hammer as that.  I actually think I liked it better before you hammered in the fullers towards the end of the video.  That classic bow-tie shape was seriously sexy.

Oh, and you'd better not end the thread.  I get a kick out of seeing how you build your tools.  

Thanks for sharing your videos!

Very well done and the tools have an outstanding quality.

I like your eye-making tool for the power hammer. Low profile. And like the other helping tools also in a good shape and not like " just needs to work not to look good"

And you have one nice workshop!!!

The anvil: i was quite pleased with my two south german ones and was at that point " yes i do want more anvils, but i don't really need another one" but now i've got to have a london pattern... and the shape of your anvil is in such a perfect condition.

How many kg's does that one have?

What powerhammer do you use! Seems not to be that heavy but you've still got loads of way to work ( partly not enough for your 3lb hammer+ cupping bolster).

regards

Hannes

Thanks!

Hannes, my big anvil is 182kg (400lb), and it's in pretty good condition. My power hammer is an old swedish brand usually called "ABNO". It has good control but it's quite small, total ram weight is about 25kg. Would love a 50-75 kg air-hammer in the future....

This is an awesome video, Tubbe. And the result of the process is a very nice piece of tool.

I was happy to follow your tool making adventures. IIRC in the beginning you said the goal is to build up tooling for making a Brazeal style hammer. You have achieved your goal succesfully. You even had us to learn things (I sure did learn a lot). 

Congratulations to you for having such a good conception on how to construct a long term topic. I'm very much vaiting for your new projects.

Best wishes

Gergely

PS. you have a cool workshop.

Thanks!

Hannes, my big anvil is 182kg (400lb), and it's in pretty good condition. My power hammer is an old swedish brand usually called "ABNO". It has good control but it's quite small, total ram weight is about 25kg. Would love a 50-75 kg air-hammer in the future....

What make is your anvil? It's no secret here I LOVE my 125lb. Soderfors, if the power hammer is the same kind of quality it's a gem.

Frosty The Lucky.