I Forge Iron

Tire Hammer build

1 HP =550ft pounds per second. Torque is used in the formula to determine HP This is over simplified but, Torque starts the load HP keeps it turning

whell what ever but i know it will work whell because i see it used in a big shop all the time, runs a trip hammer a big post drill and a big grinder all from over head system with NO problems at all..

coolstuff025.jpg
coolstuff024.jpg

Solar systems all have additional components. The storage batteries alone will be a substantial cost item. The kind you will need, deep cycle batteries are expensive. DC motors at the required HP are expensive as well. Its certainly possible but expense may be prohibitive.

Another consideration on solar power is your location. Above 45 North its not so good. You may need a supplemental power input, such as a AC/DC MG set or an inverter. This will keep your battery bank up. All comprising additonal costs that you should consider.

Peter

Pughman: Didn't say it wouldn't work. I was trying to say that motoer in you pic may not be big enough to run a 50# tire hammer. I run a Depew with a IHC LB but it's a 2 1/2 /5 hp. My 1 1/2/2 1/2 just is not enough power. Old shops ran on these gas engines all over the country as long as they had enough hp

I would drive the belt off one of those old petrol driven pump motors that they used to run the water pump and old washing machines. Or make something that does the thing. You only need it running when you use the hammer.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you might be in for a surprise trying to use the DC motor for your hammer. First of all I have built a 75 watt solar panel which is less expensive than buying but it is used for charging a 12 volt battery bank. With that in mind you are going to need at least 6 of them wired in series to get that kind of voltage. ANd that is with them running at peak efficiency (pointed directly at full sunlight). For that motor to run at the rated RPM's you need 90 volts and in order to use it when it is dark or overcast you definitely should have batteries in the loop of which you will need a minimum of 7. Also very expensive. Perhaps you should use your solar to run other things in your shop and stick with AC for the hammer, Not trying to rain on your parade but give you some things to think about. I have had my solar generator running for 4 years now in my shop and it runs all of my angle grinders and small power tools with no problems at all. That is with my homemade 75 watt panel and two deep cycle batteries attached to a 100 watt power inverter.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Weeeeelllllllllllllllll. The main reason I had decided to go with the helve hammer was because it would cost less, but I just sold my champion 400, so I got enough funds now to go back with the tire hammer design.

• 4 months later...

why are you not just getting Dave's help he has built one and probably has the book

I have been talking to Dave a lot on the different parts of the tire hammer, and he has been a LOT of help, and he even sent me a TON of photo's of his hammer, so that I would have a clearer idea of what all the parts look like.  

I haven't been doing much smithing in my shop, since I have been renovating my shop.

Also, I have become very interested in forging tools (wood working, & blacksmithing), so I became worried that a tire hammer wouldn't have the control needed for tool making (driving drifts, spring swages, ect). So when I was at Dave Custer's shop last week, we talked about the difference's between his kinyon air hammer & tire hammer. We both decided that a air hammer would be better suited for me at this time, and that if I ever want to get a trip hammer, I can just save up and get a Little Giant. :)

I have been reading through the forum about air hammers, and I'm thinking about going with the New Kinyon design air hammer. I also got the plans for the new and old style Kinyon hammer.  

I will keep yall updated on how this project goes.

thanks, 

Trip