I Forge Iron

I was wondering if any of you know of supplier that sells 5160-alloy steel, I have been looking online for the last few weeks and cannot find a supplier. The local steel contractor can get it but it would twice as much because of shipping from dealer to dealer; also I know that many truck springs are made from 5160,
however some are not. So any help in finding an online supplier who sells 5160
would be awesome, or a similar alloy with similar characteristics would be
great as well.

Thanks

Look in the Yellow Pages for a business that does spring work on trucks. Take a trinket you've made (hook, key fob, leaf....or ?), offer it, asking if you can peruse their drops or dumpster, looking for new spring cut-offs. Tell them you are learning to be a blacksmith. Large pins from the same source make GREAT hammers and tools if you have the where-with-all to work with them.

Call a local spring shop, if they don't carry it they know who does and may be willing to add a stick to their next shipment for you. Shipping is going to cost no matter what, except the springs you fish out of ditches, wrecking yards, etc. This is all part of our game, new stock is always easier to work but costs more, salvaged is always less money but runs risks, some faults and unsure analysis. Part of the game, it's a good game with a little practice, I like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

When you source it form a shop that makes springs and get the drops you can A: find out what they use so you *know* what it is and B: get un-fatigued materials so that any problems you have with it are *yours* and not some unknown prior life of the material.

Smaller shops where you can talk with the workers are usually a better bet than "factories".

I just ordered some 5160 from Jantz knifemaking: http://www.knifemaki...asp?Search=5160. From the other retailers this one was the fairly priced and only $10 shipping on orders under $100. Also they have been very quick to process my order. I was going to go with NJ steel baron like above but jantz had some other knifemaking things i ordered as well. 2 Cents...-Tim M.