I Forge Iron

Fisher Anvil.....

I'm sure that even in Austin you could locate a section of 3" to 4" round or square steel that weighs in the range of 40 to 60 pounds if you got busy and scrounged the salvage yards in a dedicated manner. I think that 4X4 hunk of steel from Old World Anvils is a bit light for the type of forging you are wanting to do but perhaps a length of railroad rail on end would do just fine.

That link was to see if you are doing a proper search---if I could come up with something from another state in just a couple of minutes it would seem that you have not exhausted local possibilities.

I'm sure that your area has a forklift repair place. Take a look at this one as an example of what can be done with a forklift tine: http://www.marco-borromei.com/fork.html as they scrounged the tine their cost was $25 for a 120 pound anvil quite well suited for blade work.

Make sure to let them know you are looking for a damaged tine to use as a bladesmithing anvil; many companies are scared of liability of someone putting a damaged tine back in use as a forklift tine.

I've searched, wont say i have reached all possibilities...called a over a dozen welding/fab places, kind of gave up after finally finding a 1 inch bar of a36, got i had them weld two together. cost me about 40$ for a 3x4 block 2 inch tall.... but as you can tell i want something bigger, past adding another layer to what i already have.

ill give a few of the fork lift places, get some calls/emails out, see what they can do. try not to go to the chain sites, never had good times with them...

as far as salvage/junk yards, i believe we have two, one is hour away, the other near 2 hours, both are only auto salvage, so unless i have mystery blade stock and such...they don't do farm/industrial salvage..

Thanks Thomas, ill keep looking