I Forge Iron

Small smithy plans?

I have a suggestion that falls in with Francis' about build bigger than you think you'll need. Build it so it's easy to expand. If you build a shed roof it's really easy to expand off the high side and add the pitch to the second side. It'd easy to double your space and looks good too.

Clay floor can be a hassle if you get much rain. Rising ground water can turn it into quicksand and it'll hold moisture to the detriment of your equipment. A crushed stone floor will really make a difference but leave enough room to go up if you run into a deal on pavers.

Remember, blacksmiths are natural salvagers, keeping our eyes open for good deals is a must.

Frosty The Lucky.

Inside pictures as promised:

Hasp and staple locking the door:
9526f881.jpg

...holding the door open:
015e1035.jpg

...looking into my mess:
6ec0b6af.jpg

Clockwise starting at the left as you enter:
ed083cf3.jpg

57f3e9e3.jpg

4b75ed60.jpg

a16abb41.jpg

18580b9b.jpg

125 pound columbian anvil:
232b50cd.jpg

Post drills, small Millers Falls for up to 1/4 inch, buffalo for larger holes:
78ebaa60.jpg

65c91fd0.jpg

Thanks for looking. Questions and/or comments encouraged.
Site administrator: feel free to edit and or delete any of this if pix are too large, etc. bart

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a 10ft x 10ft (outside dimension of the 2x10 treated perimeter) floor for a small primative shop.
The pic shows outside edges that need some pavers cut to fill in. Just finished the pavers today. Cutting was a little tricky for the anvil, and tried to make it so there wasn't to many small parts of pavers to make the anvil - not perfect, but it'll be fine.

post-280-0-29132500-1339557181_thumb.jpg

post-280-0-27571100-1339557205_thumb.jpg

I got the main framing done this weekend.
The windows will be cut in when I find some used window frames. The walls need some blocking for the board and batten vertical siding. This is by no means a large shop but will be fine for smaller work. I started to figure where things will go and - yes space is disappering really fast, but it's well within needs for what it'll be. The inside hight is 10ft to the bottom of the ridge beam and 9ft-4" square inside for the floor.

post-280-0-34293300-1339973841_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...