I Forge Iron

Real Blacksmiths Use Joysticks

macbruce

that sure ain't your daddys bearing press... :D amazing! i suspect you best know what your doing, i wonder what it would cost just to heat that up,much less the steel,it probobly said but my german is rusty (non existant) but that was cool non the less,jimmy

There are computers calculating the ram position making that pretty much impossible. Its not exactly CNC forging but its close.

Yeah but computers aren't always programmed correctly and then say on a robotic operation you can do a bunch of em wrong.....people program computers..... :)

So,
Did they upset the billet and then draw it again out to guarantee a solid center? The upsetting I have seen involves then drawing rings or reworking the billet in the other axis.
They sure went through a bit of energy doing that operation...has to be a reason.

Ric

Wow this looks like the very first job for a brand new forge shop, couple of questions I thought of, how did they recapture the upset forging after they rolled it over and it skewed sideways away from the manip, they don't show that, assuming that the manip has no sideway movement. Why did they gas axe the ends off the forgings rather than giullitine them with the press (maybe they have'nt made those dies yet). It seems that the budget did'nt run to getting a popup turntable in front of the manip, strange given the amount of money spent on the whole plant otherwise. Just a few things I noticed as strange, coming from someone with an interest in the bigger forgings. Did quenching the shaft on the horizontal have any negative bearings on the straightness of the shaft when finished, as normally I hve seen that kind of forging quenched in a deep pit end on, (vertical), the thing with quenching on the horiz is that you get a cooling on one side of the forging as it is lowered in to the quench medium, and not on the other, and you will get more vapour bubbles on the top of the forging as well lessening the quenching action.

Open to discussion here guys. You don't ask, you don't learn.

Phil

I like the tongs. The time lapse near the end was a better illustration of the process but at lower detail.

I think the quench was just to bring it down to machining or storage temp, the cuttings from the lathe were not hardened steel. Also that much depth would take an awful lot to quench harden anyway, residual heat would run the temper at least as well as normalizing and maybe even anneal. The shaft didn't have any wear points in use and it was short enough not to need any more than native strength to support itself. Lastly being part of a generator it might need to be magnetized in use and hard steel makes a poor magnet.

Love it all round, thanks for the vid.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

my non expert opinion is that there is so much heat in the piece that "little slack tub" couldnt quench fast enough to cause any warping. also what kind of medium is in the slack tub, also what temp is it. after all its not a thin knife blade but the largest forged piece i ever dreamed of seeing forged. that heat in in the center of the shaft or what ever it was surely would normalize and relive stess even slowly plunged in on a horizontal axsis(not to insult any bodys intellect but you put the most surface area in the fastest this way) . now imagine if it went in vertical and at the same slow speed, it would prob harden the leading end the most leaving the tailing end a bit cooler and there for its possible it wouldnt be at its criticall temp for hardening(if hardening is what they want to do), thus having such a temp diff for that amount of time whould most likely cause the most internal/ external stress ( at least in my very minimal experiance) also i dont think i saw the quench medium bubble or fizz in any way wich i think denotes a super slow cooling all around. also a good point was made about the milling looked as if it were done to a non hardend surface. so my 1,000,000$ ? is why would they not just make a cast steel mold then mill it to spec. now i know that forging something as opposed to melting and casting makes a stronger product ... man im loosing my train of thought does any of this make sence to you fine gentle men?