I Forge Iron

Some hanging wall brackets and hurricane candle holders.

P. Bedard

I whipped these up yesterday and today (about 6 hours work for all 4 of them).
They're for sale at an upcoming Renaissance fair. I needed some items that wouldn't look out of place but were affordable.
Let me know what you think;
004-6.jpg

005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

007-4.jpg

Not entirely sure what to price them at though. I was thinking in the 30-40 range.
Thoughts?

6 hours for $140 - $160 total on the four sounds too low for custom pieces. That is just a bit over $26 per hr on the high side. Add in cost of materials, fuel,travel, etc, and it is less than that. I would hope you could clear more than $30 per hr, after overhead. Do not sell yourself short. If it was easy, they would make their own. They are coming to you to get something that they cannot, or do not, want to make themselves. Look for the thread IIRC "pricing your work" in the business forum. If they don't sell right away don't fret, it just means he right customer hasn't seen them yet. .

I would hope you could clear more than $30 per hr, after overhead.

Well that WOULD be nice, but I have to live in the real world. Here in Winnipeg, people are notoriously cheap (we're famous the world over for it).
If something is too expensive, even if it's hand made, they'll simply find something vaguely similar at the wal-mart and call it a day.
There is a very fine line here between getting paid an appropriate wage for handmade goods, and actually getting any money for it.
The $30-40 range I cited is probably on the high side here and I'll most probably sit on them for quite a while at that price. However, I do want to get paid for my work, and $26.00 an hour here for hand labor is quite a high salary. So, I'll have to content myself with that.
Thanks for the advice though.

Good idea on the hanging glass enclosed candle. I hope they sell.

Where did you get the candles in the glass and what are they called? Seen a smaller version in Churches but nothing that large. I'm looking to do a set of table lites with forged surrounds for a resturant. The wax becomes an issue when it runs and the glass containment solves that problem.

Peter

I agree with Bigundoctor about not selling yourself short. On the other hand, if none of the notoriously cheap Winnepeg ians(?) buy them..... Have you considered a smaller version priced at the $30 to $40 range? Smaller stock might be easier/faster to form and assemble. Those look to be at least a foot tall. Cute sells and something in the 6 inch tall range could be an easier purchase to justify for the buyer. Easier to incorporate into someone's home AND would leave the door open to sell the larger ones at a higher price, $60-$75 IMHO would not be out of line. Some buyers just have to get the largest one if smaller is selling.

Yup I'd do a smaller line that matches the larger one too.

And that $26 an hour is NOT your salary it covers the cost of your shop---rent, utilities, consumables, etc + your salary. if you are getting only your salary the first time you have a big ticket shop repair you are SOL!
I tend to source my consumables on sale, scrap yards, yard sales and fleamarkets that helps keep them down but it's a hobby for me so I generally have time to find them. If you have to run out and buy something *now* good consumables are pricey!

Good idea on the hanging glass enclosed candle. I hope they sell.

Where did you get the candles in the glass and what are they called? Seen a smaller version in Churches but nothing that large. I'm looking to do a set of table lites with forged surrounds for a resturant. The wax becomes an issue when it runs and the glass containment solves that problem.

Peter

Hey Peter,
I get them at the local Dollarama store. They're $1.25 each. They have a sticker of some Catholic saint or another on them so I just peel those off and toss them.

I like them. I agree with what you say about the pricing. You shouldn't sell yourself short, but on the other hand (as we say) "Asking isn't getting". If they sell like hot cakes, then ask a higher price next time.
I always like the mixture of glass and iron. I make vase holders that use old bottles and jars as the vases, and the fragile and sturdy materials seem to compliment each other.

Yup I'd do a smaller line that matches the larger one too.

And that $26 an hour is NOT your salary it covers the cost of your shop---rent, utilities, consumables, etc + your salary. if you are getting only your salary the first time you have a big ticket shop repair you are SOL!
I tend to source my consumables on sale, scrap yards, yard sales and fleamarkets that helps keep them down but it's a hobby for me so I generally have time to find them. If you have to run out and buy something *now* good consumables are pricey!

True enough. However when the potential customer can simply walk into walmart or costco and get something *vaguely similar* for less than a quarter of the price, many of them will do just that. It's an unfortunate reality of the times. I just have to make sure I find the right balance between what price the item will still sell at, and not be too low for me to cringe at. Always a balancing act.

Price point is a factor in the Wal-mart arena.

As an example, i saw a china made, wall mount plant hanger. Just a simple 20 inches of 3/8square stock with a radius that stood off the wall maybe 12 inches. Short taper for the hook end and an offset flat with two rough screw holes. Not a lot of hand work but obviously it took some time. price $4.50 .

Now, take a 10 foot section of 3/8 and you get 6 pieces. Process the 6 pieces, finish the 6 pieces and paint the 6 pieces. Most shops have a rate of around $50-$60 bucks an hour to run. Assuming it took an hour to do the 6 pieces, you would have to charge 10 bucks a copy just to cover cost.

Maybe you need to pitch these outside of Winnipeg. You do nice work, you should get paid appropriately for it. Don't let the Wal-Mart effect bring you down. Like said earlier, you just need the right buyer. Yes, finding them may be a little work, but it will be worth it. Cruise the Business Side forum threads for suggestions on how, and where to sell your products.

I totally agree with what everyone has said about pricing and the "walmart syndrome" !! I just did a nationally juried art show here in Richmond VA and didnt sell enough to make expenses because of that particular ailment.....over 40,000 people wandering around and everyone went for the basic yard ornaments that were welded outa thin gage wire and 3/8 round with the hokey blue glass baubles on them. I got nothing but compliments on my wares but nobody was reaching for their wallets!! But i wasnt willing to drop my prices because i have to eat too!! Just means i have to find a different venue to sell at....

Keith
MMM Fab & Forge

Maybe you need to pitch these outside of Winnipeg. You do nice work, you should get paid appropriately for it. Don't let the Wal-Mart effect bring you down. Like said earlier, you just need the right buyer. Yes, finding them may be a little work, but it will be worth it. Cruise the Business Side forum threads for suggestions on how, and where to sell your products.

I certainly will!
And thanks everyone not only for the advice, but for the encouragement. I find that I sell myself short on many occasions. Maybe I should stop doing that.

Again, thank you.

Do you have a local artists guild? I joined the Vegas Artists Guild 4 years ago. Lots of good info, and opportunities for artists who selll their work. It is a non profit, and takes no commissions. Te yearly dues are $30 a year.

Some of the methods that guild members use to sell their art are; Facbook-letting "friends" know where you will be selling next. guild sponsored events, Etsy, First Friday - a monthly event held in the Las Vegas 18b Arts District (no charge to set up at this event) with upwards of 15,000 attendees, blogs, websites, larger well established art festivals like the Art in the Park series held in Boulder City and the Henderson Art Fest, and probably a couple more I forgot about.

I talked with one gentleman at the last Henderson Art Fest who makes wooden spoons, and other items from reclaimed lumber. He scrounges materials from pallets ,crates, dunnage, estate sales, and even old buildings. He had mesquite, purple heart, yellow heart,birch, maple, and more. The spoons sell for $20 ea, and he told me he sells out of the 2,500 spoons he makes a year at the 10 events he does. That was not including the other items he makes,just the spoons.

Proper marketingwill make a world of difference to your sales. GOOD pictures are also needed if going online. A well done website is worth the effort. Then again, none of this is effective if YOU don't put the needed effort into promoting your venture. It takes a lot of work to establish those contacts, and customer base, but once the foundation is in place it gets easier, and only needs some maintenance to keep it going.