I Forge Iron

Indian Chief 5 1/4 inch

Hayden H

Picked it up at an auction for $10. Works like a champ, jaws line up perfect, theres just two problems. One is that someone cut something with a torch in its jaws and cut into and a small peice off of the jaws, and cut a foot of the leg off. (I figure it was welded to a table by the foot and bolted by the bracket) Its even got the bracket (Indian Chief), I'll post some pictures as soon as I find my camera. Will it hurt it if I build up the corner with weld, and file it to suit and hot fit a peice of pipe to make the leg the original length?

The jaws are often faced with high carbon steel so weld them that way and get on with it! Many people also make jaw covers from angle iron to deal with this sort of thing without welding on the vise.

Why not weld a solid piece on the leg and shoot forge the acorn too. *AND* think a bit and size the new leg so that this vise is *perfect* for you and what you want to do with it! So if you will do a lot of piling put it at filing height. If you will be doing a lot of hammering on it put it at good hammering height, etc.

The vise leg doesn't have to go all the way to the floor. Just make sure there is some sort of heavy support under the leg. Here is a picture of my vise. The leg is short and doesn't extend to the floor. So I built this support. It's a piece of pipe that fits around what is left of the leg. The base and angle supports are 3/8-inch plate. Solid as a rock!

DSC04052.jpg

That'd work too. I'm thinking about (my workbench is wood, looking to make a metal one) to make a sleeve that the leg peice fits into, putting that into a monstrouse bolt or something and making it height adjustable height