I Forge Iron

NOVA TV show on Viking Swords

just watched the show using the link provided in the original post. For those who didn't notice, the nova episode is available to watch online using the links above. Awsome show. I only wish I had the confidence in my skills, or lack of skills, to attempt something of such beauty.  Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately, the online video can't be viewed by users from outside the US (well, unless you use a proxy-server).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Breath taking. The way you followed traditional methods was so unbeliveably impressive. From smelting the steel, to useing the charcoal forge, and my personal favorite was the stake anvil. Proving that its not the size of the anvil face. It's where the anvil and hammer meet that matters. Again thank you, and your buddy Kevin for taking on this awesome task, and making a beautiful sword. You truly did the old smiths proud.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed the show, it was fantastic to see ancient methods come to life with such expert craftsmanship. I know this thread is old, but in case anyone missed it or wants to see it again, the documentary is on Netflix and I believe the whole thing is on Youtube as well. Definitely worth watching!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, it's a good show, lots of high quality smithing there! I do think they exaggerated a few things, but most people wouldn't want to watch a show like that with out a little bit of drama/suspense.

Speaking of which- Mr. Furrer, was there a particular reason you took the sword out of the quench before it cooled below the flash point? Or was it for theatrics? :D What would the Vikings have quenched in anyways(assuming they didn't have canola oil or Parks 50)?