I Forge Iron

NOVA TV show on Viking Swords

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the show as well last night, very interesting stuff. I have a couple questions.
I saw how you quentched the blade only part way to the end. I know the tang is not quentched, how come it stopped father up the blade? looked about 8" from the top of the tang?
also when it shows you finishing the blade. one side looks flat in the center the other side is fullered is that how it looks on the flip side?

I saw the show as well last night, very interesting stuff. I have a couple questions.
I saw how you quentched the blade only part way to the end. I know the tang is not quentched, how come it stopped father up the blade? looked about 8" from the top of the tang?
also when it shows you finishing the blade. one side looks flat in the center the other side is fullered is that how it looks on the flip side?

the blade was quenched in to the tang....the tang was long and hot so it looked a bit odd.
The fuller was on both sides...could have been the lighting....concave surfaces play royal havoc with light....which is why I have four sources of light when I polish those.

Ric

I recall seeing a show by NOVA, or similar program doing an episode on a Viking sword. The smith twisted the bars that formed the core, and forge welded them together. He then split the core, and inserted the edges. This had to be back in the 70's, but I remember it pretty well. I haven't watched my TV in probably 5 years now, so I will have to see about watching your episode on the computer.

Caught the part I missed the first time last night, and watched it with my kids (girl 8, boy 10). We all thought it was cool. My kids can't imagine doing anything for 11 hours, let alone hammering on a peice of metal. About 15-20 min. is all I ever get out of them.

Ric, your skill set is truly remarkable and your hard work is evident. I hope this program helps bring you whatever rewards you desire. Thanks for sharing with us here.

-Derek

I recall seeing a show by NOVA, or similar program doing an episode on a Viking sword. The smith twisted the bars that formed the core, and forge welded them together. He then split the core, and inserted the edges. This had to be back in the 70's, but I remember it pretty well. I haven't watched my TV in probably 5 years now, so I will have to see about watching your episode on the computer.

Back in the '80's The Anvils Ring had an article about the re-creation of the Sutton Hoo sword by Scott Lankton. You can read about it here...

http://www.scottlank...oo/article.html

if you google Sutton Hoo Sword there is more info.

Just watched it on the web. congratulations Ric you've done a remarkable job. If I were you, I don't know if I could sell it, I'd probably frame it and put it on my mantle. Your love for the craft is obvious and your skill is something to aspire to.

Kudos sir,
Riley

Back in the '80's The Anvils Ring had an article about the re-creation of the Sutton Hoo sword by Scott Lankton. You can read about it here...

http://www.scottlank...oo/article.html

if you google Sutton Hoo Sword there is more info.

Yes and here is two better than that...sutton hoo was an 8 bar...the bamburgh is a 12. The most complex multi bar I know of.

Re-discovered in England just a few years ago.
Ric

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled across this topic and I'm so glad I did!!!
The show and the craftsmanship in the Viking Sword was amazing!!!!!!
I applaude your skills and craftsmanship, that 2 pound chunk of steel represents your skill set quite well. I am simply impressed. Thank you for taking on this monumental challenge and coming out the victor.

• 3 weeks later...

Richard I just wanted to give you thanks. Because of your episode on Nova, I now own 2 anvils and will soon have my forge complete. I have always wanted to pursue this as a hobby, but never really put things into perspective. Every beginner wants to make a sword, and deep down inside I do. However, I have acquainted myself with enough information to realize this is one of those things you work hard for after you put in your time. Never thought I would spend hours on end researching tools and how to make them and other various forms of metallic art until recent. I've also realized that this is less of a hobby and more of a way of life, and it constantly has my attention firmly in its grasp. I simply cannot get enough of blacksmithy (Amazon has several books being shipped to me as we speak!).

It was inspiring to watch. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

just watched the show using the link provided in the original post. For those who didn't notice, the nova episode is available to watch online using the links above. Awsome show. I only wish I had the confidence in my skills, or lack of skills, to attempt something of such beauty.  Thanks for the link.