I Forge Iron

Request for Lock making book

Bentiron1946

Bentiron, the book David linked to is a good general book on locks, but doesn't have the kind of info you're looking for.

I'm a locksmith by trade, and have a fairly extensive library ... I'll take a browse through a few books and see if I can find one that has what you're looking for. Unfortunately, info on lock making is fairly rare.

The Spruce Forge "manual of Locksmithing"A Blacksmith guide to simple lock mechanisms by bill Morrison and Dennis Frechette
ISBN 0-615-11822-4
shows tools needed shows how to make Pipe locks,Spring lock, Trunk lock, Cupboard lock, Door lock, Gate lock.
I got my copy from Nation Builder Books ,PO BOX 253 Leesburg, VA 20178 ,800 480-5808; www.NBBooks.com
I believe you could adapt the information in the book to make what you want.

I'll look for that title, thanks for the information!
David, "my brain processes decrease due to increasing sleep deprivation." I suffered from sleep apnea for years and didn't know it until my doctor asked how I was sleeping. I don't know if you have this problem or not but I went and had a sleep study done and it showed I was coming awake over 80 times and hour so now I have a CPAP machine and wake up rested and awake. Look into if think this may be your problem.

WOW! $52 plus shipping for the book. It will have to wait till next months government stipend. Thanks for the link.

(not to mention your SO getting awakened a lot too! I started sleeping much better once my wife got a CPAP system and I didn't wake up and start counting seconds and elbowing her when the count got excessive between breaths---I found it very hard to go back to sleep when my wife wasn't breathing.)

Did you see if you could ILL that book from the local public library? I've been lucky in finding books that go for several hundred dollars using the small town library here. Costs me US$1 per search but being able to hold the book in you hands allows you to decide if it's worth the money to get your own copy!

Might be hard as it looks like a self published book:

The Spruce Forge Manual of Locksmithing A Blacksmiths Guide to Lock Mechanisms
(ISBN 10: 0615118224 / ISBN 13: 9780615118222 )
Bill Morrison
Publication Date: 1999-09-10 Binding: Spiral-bound

The Spruce Forge Manual of Locksmithing is the only volume of its type available in the United States. Unlike most locksmithing books, which deal only with parts replacement, this book illustrates the techniques and tools utilized in the making of hand forged locks. Illustrations,
original lock patterns, and step-by-step instructions guide the reader through the process of traditional lock making.

I just came across this picture of the inside of a hand forge lock. I hope that it helps.
http://tudorironworks.com/padlock.htm

I also keep my eye out for old forged locks in fleamarkets and antique type places. Old Germany made colonial period door locks with screw-off handles that doubled as keys are sometimes found as they were very common in Pennsylvania. Someday when I have more time, they are another project on the growing list of things to make.

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck finding a lot of info you in a single book. Most of the older locksmithing books I have in my library, have a short section in them on lock making. When put together would be fairly comprehensive ... but unfortunately is spread over a half dozen books.

Have you read through the lock making articles on anvilfire? They also have an electronic copy of a book by John Chubb, entitled "On The Construction of Locks and Keys". It's from the 1850's, and so is now in the public domain - it's probably the closest single reference book that you can easily obtain (a free download).

The Spruce Forge manual is really good, if you can find yourself a copy.

There are a few good lock-specific forums, which have some great info on lock making (threads which document members projects). Old Locks and LP101 are probably the best ones.

• 9 years later...

The New Spruce Forge Manual of Locksmithing: A Blacksmith's Guide to Making Simple Lock Mechanisms was published in January, 2022. It's available from most online book vendors. This new edition is double in size as compared to the original. There are 14 lock projects now compared to the 6 in the 1st edition from 1999. It's now hardcover with a "layflat" binding so the pages stay open when you're working on a project. The first section (70 pages) is a good introduction to the tools, techniques and procedures you'll need to construct the locks. The next section (228 pages) contains the 14 different projects, illustrated with color photos and diagrams.