I Forge Iron

I don't normally post in the Knife Section...

tzonoqua

These are my first and only ever attempts at knife making. As you can see, I'm better off sticking with the arty stuff, although these do live in my kitchen and they do get used, and I like the fact that they do actually get used, but they aren't the best! The handles are aluminum, sand cast roughly then forged into shape of the handle with some decorative punching.

May be trying some again soon, the step son has taken an interest in forging and (god forbid) wants to make a sword.. *sigh* He is only 10 though, so I've started him off with snails. He's not able enough to hold the tongs, he just "strikes" two handed. Gotta start somewhere eh!

post-1299-0-48762400-1336581578_thumb.jp

Those are really good first efforts. Very “blacksmithy”, and I mean that in a good way. I am still working toward forging closer to shape and not relying so heavily on stock removal.

These are reminiscent of knives I have seen locally that were made on the night shift at the ALCOA plant in the early to mid 1900’s. They produced aluminum, so it was the natural material to be used for the handles. I have a roughly used aluminum handled hunting knife that my great uncle made for my grandfather in the 30’s or 40’s.

I really like the integral bolsters as well. That’s another thing I want to get better at.

Great job… now you’re hooked. Might as well get on with that sword.

Don

Thanks Don, they are "rustic" ok, they're just rusty!!! :D They are a bit "thick" so I would be better to work them down some more. Did at least learn a bit and have great respect for those that can make very beautiful knives! I think it's also about how much stock you start with, less is more, or at least more manageable!

colleen i think they are great! really cool, nicely shaped :) and interesting handle method, and if your using them they must be pretty functionable. i have never made a knife, i might try one day - do many things on the might try list, and i know how much knives demands in terms of Time Spent... i really like them anyway - must be fab using them when you made em :)

Very nice work Colleen! What do you cut with the largest one? I've read that aluminum has some form of chemical reaction with steel. Catalytic reaction? Sorry, I don't have time to look it up right now. However, I do own a mess kit knife with aluminum handles, stamped 1945. The blade is stainless, I think.

Robert

Thanks Bryan and Robakyo, the smallest one is the most used - as it's the thinnest so cuts the best, tbh the biggest one doesn't get used so often, when it gets used it's more like a cleaver!! it's kind of a weird shape for a kitchen knife. And yes, galvanic corrosion I think it's called, but for something like this, I'm not too worried, if it starts to corrode I can always take the handles off and put something else on. Pretty easy to knock out the alu rivets.

Those knives do look really good. I particularly like the biggest one. I told my son when he turned 13, he would be expected to work with me for about 4 hours each Saturday when I can get out there and when I sell a knife, he will get paid a portion of it. He turned 13 in April. He swings with one hand for as long as he can, then he two-hands it for a while. But our sons will get better, just like we will.

Thanks Bryan and Robakyo, the smallest one is the most used - as it's the thinnest so cuts the best, tbh the biggest one doesn't get used so often, when it gets used it's more like a cleaver!! it's kind of a weird shape for a kitchen knife. And yes, galvanic corrosion I think it's called, but for something like this, I'm not too worried, if it starts to corrode I can always take the handles off and put something else on. Pretty easy to knock out the alu rivets.

Colleen, galvanic sounds right. Strange that the molded handle hasn't reacted at all on the knife I have. Again, very nice first knives.

And it would be interesting to see what Beth would create.

Robert

I like them overall Colleen. I can see why you don't use the larger one very much... the reverse curve makes it all wrong for a kitchen knife... a similar curve has made quite a name for itself in Nepal though (Kukri). I might mention that you really need paring, boning and filet knives now to fill out your set! Clearly you have the needed skills. BTW I had a nice dinner of bluegill and crappie just last night which my teenage son called "beautiful"! Filleting small fishes is a task that builds appreciation for finely ground tapers and very sharp edges on a fillet knife! The one that I used is not my own blade but I did do a pretty radical regrind to improve the factory tapers and get a finer and more flexible tip on it.

• 1 month later...

I like 'em Colleen, nice blade shapes for a kitchen. The large one you should whip out when the extended family, or a bunch of friends, come over for a large roast. You'll just have to forge up a carving fork to go with it... :) (car coil spring is good for that)