I Forge Iron

uses for used jackhammer heads?

Hello.
The Home Depot chaps think I am crazy. :D I just walked in there, went straight to the tool rental section, and asked whether I could buy some of their used jackhammer heads, and stuff. So tommorow Steve is gonna give me a very lot of them. What will I do with them?
Any ideas? Specific useful tools? knife designs? a MASSIVE cold chisel? :lol:
Thanks,
Archie

Not a bad idea, Archie. I need to make some hardy tools, and was going to make them from sucker rod. I think I'll stop off at Home Depot and Lowe's tomorrow and ask like you did.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling, if you don't have a way to use anvil tools right now.

That is a wonderful find for you or any smith. Remember that they are made from a tool steel that is shock resistant,,an S series tool steel,,,most likely S-1. there are different steels in that line but the important thing is to just remember what it is for. That is important when you use it for anything other than jackhammer bits. You will find right away that even at a good heat it does not move very well under a hammer. So just plan on takeing a little longer to get it to size than if it was made from low carbon or mild steel. That is also the beauty of it. It does not deform under uses it is made for. It is not made to hold an edge like for knife blades, but for hot cut hardies or punches it is really right. It will still not deform if while useing it as a tool even if you let it get a little hot. Like a real dull red. If you forge it while too hot or not hot enough it will crack,,,if You get it hot and put it in water it will likely crack also,,,,,Play around with it and see how it works for you.

Thanks! Right now I am in need of a hot cutter, a bottom fuller, and a hot punch so I will make those I think. My art teacher told me to go to Home Depot because she knows I'm into blacksmithing, and her boyfriend is a smith, and often gets his S-1 or S-5 from the jackhammer bits. Could one make hammers from it? Like, a hammer on which the handle is also steel? or would that bounce too much? I might use some as a blade steel too, it is listed as a blade steel in JPH's "Complete Bladesmith".
Thanks,
Archie :D

If you make a hardy tool from part of a jackhammer bit, the "drop" can be made into a hammer by slitting or punching inthe center, then drifting a handle hole, forging the type of heads you want and then hardening the stricking surfaces.

One of the demonstrators at Ironfest this June showed making a rounding hammer from a piece of jackhammer bit. And last weekend we took a drop and forged the beginnings of a reposse' hammer out of it with a cross peen on one end and a round doming head on the other. Still a work in progress.

I just finished a shut down job at a foundry and picked up two buckets of jack hammer bits. The refractory guys said they pitch the bits after they wear down. Most of them are 5/8" diameter and up. I figure I'll try some punchs and chisels with the smaller ones.

Steve