I Forge Iron

Vise won't open

chevelle69

So it is mounted like in picture 1 and not in picture 2? Picture 2, on the stand, is the correct way, picture 1 is upside down.

Phil

Should not the thrust washer/bearing be on the handle's side of the vise as the nut (static part) is to the rear?

Should not the thrust washer/bearing be on the handle's side of the vise as the nut (static part) is to the rear?

This particular vise has a ball/cup shaped washer fitted on the screw box and on the handle and a smaller ball/cup shaped washer on the handle...or am I simply missing an additional flat thrust washer by the handle?

Phil

post-9443-0-07562500-1336488333_thumb.jp

So it has Phil, not apparent in the first pic you posted, but a necessary part of the vise, not hurt to point this out to anyone refurbishing or purchasing a used vise.

Not a problem. Glad I could take a better picture to show what is going on with my vise.
Phil

• 7 years later...

No need to repeat your own post if nobody responds, if you make a habit of being impatient it'll irritate admin and the curmudgeons. 

Is there an ID plate on it? A name? If so look them up online and contact the maker. If not, estimate the size of the bolt, hit the hardware store bolt bin and buy a couple few as close as you can estimate. Go to a REAL hardware store, not a big box, real hardware stores have a better selection and might have replacement parts that'll work on your vise. You can ask the counter guy at a real hardware store and have a chance of him/er knowing the answer or where to look it up, they have order books galore. A counter guy at a big box isn't likely to know much of anything but how to ring you up. 

Another pointer is providing folk enough information to be able to give you meaningful answers. Bolt, isn't  much info at all but you don't know what if anything special it's called. Next time you have this kind of problem take a picture so we have a better chance.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have been to 2 or 3 real hardware stores.  They could not help.  I have attached pics of where the bolt goes.  This thread mentioned a pivot bolt but I don't know where that goes on the vice.    The only thing stamped on this vise is a large 6.  No other stamping or nameplates.  

20180826_191921.jpg

20180826_191928.jpg

Thanks for the responses.  

This thread was discussing post/leg vises, not bench vises. The pivot bolt discussed on this old thread holds the moveable jaw to the stationary one. The part you show the picture of is not a leg vise. Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

We still don't know where in the world you are located, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location.