I Forge Iron

.... A new start for me....

CBrann

Just sharing, not looking for pity or praise...

So I have been in college for about 9 months for optician courses. By the end I should be able to make glasses and contact lenses for anyone. I have been a stagehand, scenic carpenter, and scenic designer for about 15 years. In May of 2013 I should get an Associates of Science in Opticianry!!!

I started my apprenticeship in an optician capacity today. It is so different from my "old" job, and I was told I am good at my new job, all 7 pair of glasses I made today were passable under industry standards.

Until I get my Opticians License in the USA, well in the state of Connecticut anyway... I am stuck with my apprenticeship and working sometimes sat my old job.

How does this connect with I forge and Blacksmithing, every step of making glasses or contact lenses can be spoiled by "overworking" (too much grinding, cutting or removing material etc). A lot of thought is required for each step, and sometimes there is no fixing a mistake, the only option is starting over.

Just trying to share some good news with friends!!

PS in a couple of years when I say this sucks and has no challenge, remind me of my first day that was full of many challenges!!
Cliff

i agree with phil, as someone who cannot see the speed limit sign when i am driving without my goggles, i thank you.
heres a question i been wanting to ask but my optomitrist knows nothing of metal work, could dark green tinted safty glasses work as a viable replacment for acetylene goggles? im concerned about the light and slag.