I Forge Iron

If you could apprentice under one smith who and why?

I'm going to go with Helmut Hillenkamp. Just listening to the man speak is a true pleasure. I also greatly enjoy his esthetic sense and have been a huge admirer of his work since I first stumbled across his "Iron to live with" videos on youtube. He's also the man who taught me how to make tongs and weld chain, despite the fact we've never met.

Let us confine this thread to the living and practising Master Blacksmiths of today. I would really like to spend time with Frank Turley, Brian Brazeal, and even though I have no interest in making knives, Rich Hale , he's cool!

Yes let's keep this to actual living people who are still teaching. Let's also keep it to ONE. I'm not asking for a list. That's way too easy. One, that means you have to take some time and put some real thought into it and have a reason why.

Hillenkamp & Kington. I can understand both choices and why.

I'm not sure I could pick just one. Everyone has so much to offer. What about the ones you have never heard of. Like Tom Bredlow. Thats why I like to go to as many conferences, hammer in, and demos I can.

Tom Bredlow works for me. I'm a newbie so a name is just a name until someone tells me what that name means. No offense to any of the famous smiths on here. I have a lot of training by LE instructors. None of which would mean anything to people on here. Criminals never surrendered because I said I'd studied with a name. They stopped because I showed them what that person taught me to do!

Jeff Mohr. Mainly because he is heavy into the art side of blacksmithing, has a great since of humor and is more than willing to share any and all of his knowledge with anyone who is intrested.
He also hosts an open forge each wendsday evening from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm provided he isnt at a show, and besides all that he only lives five miles from away.

I am sorry,I didn't understand that this was a popularity contest. I thought that you were interested in the ideal master of the discipline in which one was devoted.

well Jesse James may be Popular but he works and builds Old School ways , he has mastered and pushes the limit of all metals .

Sam

I am sorry,I didn't understand that this was a popularity contest. I thought that you were interested in the ideal master of the discipline in which one was devoted.

It's not a popularity contest! I don't even know what promted that statement? :huh: I guess I should have made it clear in the orignianl question that it has to be someone living as the travel arrangements to join past masters are one way trips. :o

L. Brent Kington, Peter Ross, Helmut Hillenkamp, Tom Bredlow, Jose Gomez, Brent Bailey, Jeff Mohr, Rich Hale, Frank Turley, Brian Brazeal, Yuri Hoffi, Clifton Ralph, Darrly Nelson, Peter Ross, and Andrey Yakovishin.

No offense to Jesse James but I don't think he works as a blacksmith and hasn't to my knowlege ever taught apprentice Blacksmiths. I think he might use some aspects of smithing in his work as a custom motorcycle maker. Gunsmithing sometimes involves making parts by casting etc... Part of the reason I decided to try forging. I don't think I should put Noveske, Kreiger, Wilson etc.. on the list though. I thought that it was a given that they be blacksmiths since it is posted on this site but I didn't make myself clear as has been pointed out by several. :unsure: Thanks to F. T. Cole and Old and Rusty for pointing it out to me. I forgot that none of you were mind readers.

Keep them coming as I have expanded my knowlege and that is always a good thing for a stubborn old man to do! <_< I'll make a list and put links next to the names eventually for others to use or ignore at their discretion.