I Forge Iron

Very large split cross

On Saturday April 28th, the "Brotherhood of Friendly Hammermen" again attacked a large billet with but sledges. The 3" square billet was about 85#, we burned 75# of coal in the heating and it took 5.5 hours for the team to make this split cross. The previos attempt yeilded a cross from 2.5" stock, that has been well recieved. This is practice for when we take this project on the road to Cannelton Indiana. The Cannelton Indiana Heritage festival has invited the Southern Indiana Meteorite Mashers a sattalite group of the Indiana Blacksmithing Association to bring our monthly club meeting to downtown Cannelton for their Heritage festival in October. We plan to make a cross like this one as part of the show.
In the photo, from left;
Dave Kunkler, Steve King, Jeff Reinhardt and Jason Hardin

The Billet was 3" square, and 31" long. Steve Laid that one out and did the cuts so I don't have the demensions. I do have a fourmula that I will post later that I use when I lay them out that you simply multiply the cross section to get the cut lenghts.

It's quite impressive to see a split cross of that size, nicely done !
I like the hammered texture you guys put in it, you can see the hard work that went into that piece just by looking at it...

I was swinging somebody's grandaddy 14# cross pien. The hammer I was using was given to me, and was from VOGT were I worked for 21 years. They had a large blacksmith shop up till late 80's. Mine is mstamped HVM for Herny Vogt Machine co, and was made in that shop. No date but I would guess maybe mid 20-30"s.
We also had Steves very big straight pein and Dave Kunkler's 12# cross pein. So no, the smallest hammer used was a 12#.
The do call us the BFH's :)

Cut on a bandsaw, by Steve, an undertaking in itself. The opening was doen using tools made to grip the arms once a handled cut was used to start the opening. The tools were only 5' long and it took 7 men to open. May not have been as hot through as we thought. Next attemp, longer tools! Next attempt more attention to heat. The arms stayed straight and we never had to adjust an arm to 90 degrees.