I Forge Iron

How 'bout a bellows?

NoviceSmith15

Hey everyone! I have another question. Someday when I'm a multi-million dollar blacksmith (Ok, I know...the blacksmith make-a very little moneys no?), I want to have an old-fashioned bellows at my disposal--does anyone know where to find them? I've searched eBay, Amazon, Craigslist.com, etc., but haven't found a one. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Matt~

The sometimes pop up on EBAy, but they are not difficult to make with a few basic tools and some basic woodworking skills. I have documented the steps in making a bellows with step-by-step photographs and explanations on my book's FaceBook page in case you want to give it a try.

Yes, I have read that I can make my own--and I'm sure I could do it if I just worked hard on it--but I am a little concerned about the cost--leather (for the bellows) is pretty expensive, and I have limited funds (I'm fifteen, so that might explain it..).
However, I would love to see how you made yours--unfortunately I don't have a FaceBook account, so I can't access your tutorials--is there any way you could attach them here?
Thanks!
Matt~

On Craigslist there are two up north, one in connecticut and one somewhere near Columbus, Ohio, I think. For material, ask hunters for the discarded deer hides and tan them yourself! Or ask a butcher for some cow hides. Synthetic material also works, such as old couch materials. Those come across craigslist for free ALL the time. I would start small, if I were you. Build a single chamber bellows maybe three feet long and see how that works. Then move up from there.

Yes, I have read that I can make my own--and I'm sure I could do it if I just worked hard on it--but I am a little concerned about the cost--leather (for the bellows) is pretty expensive, and I have limited funds (I'm fifteen, so that might explain it..).
However, I would love to see how you made yours--unfortunately I don't have a FaceBook account, so I can't access your tutorials--is there any way you could attach them here?
Thanks!
Matt~

Actually you don't have to use any leather. You can use: canvas, or canvas coated with Tool Dip, or an old tarp that was impregnated with that brown stuff, or a well driller's tarp, or used rubber roofing, anything cloth-like that will hold air. You don't even have to use hinges if you don't want to, instead of metal hinges you can use leather scraps, or farmer's bailer belting, or anything that is strong and flexible. Some people have used roofing nails instead of bellows nails. Make a list and ask around, you might find that folks you know might have a usable used truck tarp and/or painter's canvas drop cloth you can use, as well as nails, wood and a short length of pipe for the nozzle.

P.M. me with an email address to send you a copy of the instructions. The file is large because of the images, so it might not be transmittable by email especially if your email account limits file size.

I need to work on the instructions to make it better before I am comfortable in publishing it to the world. At its current stage, certain individuals may be inclined to verbally beat me like a dead mule harnessed to their overloaded wagon.

Doing shows a lot, you'll get odds and ends that turn up. I was at a show this past weekend and a guy came up and said he had a big bellows (like a 7 footer.) Said the first $100 would take it home. I'd love to have one but I don't have the floor space and the ceiling isn't tall enough to hang it up there.

That's not something to worry about until you get a covered forge or a shop. They are bulky and I would HIGHLY suggest using one before buying one. I didn't really like the one I used once. Hand crank or electric is so much more compact, and I like the way they work better.

They do occasionally turn up. I've got a friend up here that has one for sale for (I think) $500. You just have to keep a continuous eye out on craigs and the local adds on ebay for one.

Novicesmith15, you might consider making a box bellows. Mechanically they are less complicated and they take less material to make. Double bellows aren't impossible to make but it's not fun to change anything once it's assembled. In contrast, you could make a box bellows out of an old trunk or a drawer, or whathaveyou. If you google "Japanese box bellows" there's a website with pictures of a fancy one being built. The concept is simple, it's up to you how nice you can make it.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions and help--I really appreciate it!
I realize now that I'm going to want to get much further along in this trade before thinking of a bellows--my dream smithy looks like this: a raised stone stage with a timber roof and open sides with pillars--a square, stone forge, an anvil, and a good old fashioned bellows, with wooden racks to hang tools and products on. I know that's real far off, but it's what I'm aiming for.
I will think about and mull over what all of you have said and plan on building my own bellows in the future, hopefully once I have an indoor shop.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!

Matt~

Reynolds: If you remount it up in the ceiling you could use a chain handle so that it would give a bit when you run into it! :D

marcusb: Tanning hides isn't THAT hard. I've done coon and deer hides. Seems like a thick cow hide would be easier. I always leave the hair on, which probably makes things simpler too. (I suppose that wouldn't matter too much, and a hair on bellows would look pretty neat! LOL) It takes time and room, but isn't that hard.

Some nice leather can be found on leather covered furniture (lounge chairs etc.). It's soft and supple, but you probably won't get a continuous piece big enough for even a small bellows, so some sewing skills may be required. A Stanley knife cuts it easily, so it's not hard to remove from the chair. I have leather from this source waiting for my proposed run of small hand bellows.

Also some local farm show complexes and fair grounds have leather worker's conventions and shows where you can acquire leather sides, bellies and backs at wholesale. Sometimes near the end of the show the dealers will discount their wares even further.

Doing shows a lot, you'll get odds and ends that turn up. I was at a show this past weekend and a guy came up and said he had a big bellows (like a 7 footer.) Said the first $100 would take it home. I'd love to have one but I don't have the floor space and the ceiling isn't tall enough to hang it up there.

That's not something to worry about until you get a covered forge or a shop. They are bulky and I would HIGHLY suggest using one before buying one. I didn't really like the one I used once. Hand crank or electric is so much more compact, and I like the way they work better.

They do occasionally turn up. I've got a friend up here that has one for sale for (I think) $500. You just have to keep a continuous eye out on craigs and the local adds on ebay for one.

yeah I do have a bellows for sale, and it is a BIG rascal I will say that!!!!! LOL all the wood and metal work in in great condition, but the leather needs to be replaced, and from what I can tell, that wouldn't be all to hard.

I have a small double bellows that I recently (read this as within the last year) finished. 1/2 inch plywood with EPDM pond liner (bought at home depot) for the flexi-material. The size is 18" wide by 30" long, with the top chamber opening 8 inches and the bottom 16 inches. I don't have it connected to anything, but the air stream is steady without a top weight and can be well felt more than 10 feet away. I know it's small, but I built it specifically for a lively-type charcoal forge I have been working on.

couldn't figure out how to add a pic to the quick reply thingy.
The little one is three (for scale) and was amazed at the air blowing out of the nose of the bellows.

Also, the bottom chamber openings are four 2-inch holes and the upper chamber has two 2-inch holes, with another piece of the EPDM acting as both gasket and hinge at both locations. to get a good seal, I contact cemented then stapled a piece of EPDM with corresponding holes at each set of chamber openings.

how do you attach pictures to stick? not having any luck

wow. the little secret code window for adding pictures is a single line that is smaller than the font of the text. owie on the eyes

Is that what happens? I am flagging this post for the boss to see. Is it a captcha or something?

Phil

Click bottom right on MORE REPLY OPTIONS (beside the post button) and it will bring up a screen with ATTACH FILES just below the text box. This should allow you to browse your hard drive for the image you want and attach it to the post. You may want to resize the image first.

Glenn,
I did that part, but when I tried to save and post, it didn't take. when I tried the second/third time I noticed a ghost-like image at the bottom
if you attach a picture, you have to slowly scroll down the message, which includes the word CAPTCHA, and enter a secret code to actually load the picture. pita, but doable. I will attach two sample pictures next.

pictures (I haven't been able to attach pictures when using the quick reply box at the bottom)

I attached these using the new advanced uploade. what a difference, if it takes. I think the problem is in the basic loader

post-734-0-35034900-1336019200_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-08030400-1336019202_thumb.jpg