I Forge Iron

I think I have finally found a big one.

I have been wanting a 5 hundred weight (or bigger) anvil for a while now and my ebay searchings have landed me a couple of 500lb + anvils but not s full 5 hundred weight .
Maybe this will be the one . its certainly no way near the 450kg in the listing .....

I am still sad I missed a couple of 7 hundredweight anvils when I was fresh out of college

how much do you all think it will weigh ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200748694535&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1413

it looks like its gona be in that range but only to know is weigh it! if you won the bid it looks like you got a good deal at least it would be in my area! ive looked at anvils on your ebay tho and almost all of um are good deals... could make a bit of money if i could get um to the states at a reasonable shipping cost...

I won it....(if you can call it that) so will find out in a week or two.
I have a very accurate scale for weighing the pull of crossbow prods (up to 1000kg).
4 foot long and 16 inches high.....570lb?is my guess maybe a little more.

oooohhhhh, that looks a tasty anvil :D

The biggies are wide in the face (6"+) Ill chuck a tape rule over the ones ive got that are 5cwt+ , im sure they are all well less than 4' long ... from memory the 600lb p.w Ive got is only 42 - 44"

congrats !

interestingly it does not look like a big anvil, nicely proportioned.

ah well we shall see .
Its always possible that the tape measure was a little optimistic !!!!
such is the fun of ebay anvil shopping.
its priced ok for a decent-ish 2 hundredweight and its bigger than that..
when I finally get it I'll polish it up and show some pickies.
I picked up a great file makers anvil a little while back (to match the hammer Mr Maxen gave me). there are some real wonderful bits of steel and iron out there.....

well I have finally got that 3.5 to 1 ratio of anvil to blacksmith .
It dwarfs my work space but actually when in place does not look so huge as it did outside......
There was writing on it and I can make out capital WF at the bottom in the middle and part of the word ____ntied guarantied?
there is a chipped area on the near side edge but otherwise its in great shape.
anyhow one less thing to lust after!!
6982673026_a90d4d67e3_b.jpg