I Forge Iron

Got the initial inspiration from this vid which had been posted in a previous entry onto this site IIRC

I altered the number of folds to give the nose area more depth, and when we drew the ears out one split, so it looks a bit of a tough guy, Lost a few of its "whiskers" in the process

post-816-0-66128400-1335044044_thumb.jpg

Based this bit on the old mantra "If it's a cock up, feature it" gives it a bit of character. (Thats my excuse anyway)

Really fun to do and appeals to the punters

Kept this one as a good example of a bad example

• 1 month later...

im just getting into this and need tools but dont want to buy everything. what can i use that might be laying around to make chisels and punches?

Coil spring from cars and trucks is typically 5160 or a similar alloy. They are good material choice for your own tools, and hold up well. You can contact repair shops about getting old suspension parts, show up dressed to work, and leave the area neater than when you arrived. Many places pay to have junk parts hauled off.

You can also call up suspension shops about getting "drops" or the ends of bars from when they make new springs. This will be known material, and new. You can also get scrap parts from them.

Show up with some trinkets like leaf key chains and such. They show what you are starting to do and sweeten the deal a little. Be honest about what you are doing with the parts.

Phil

will things like 4-ways for car tires or old screwdrivers work for anything? then i am wondering if anyone is from the tri cities in michigan andknows where to buy coal.

Tire Iron steel will work for smaller punches but also look at crow bars, pick axes, steering tie rods, and any other tool you can lay your hands on. The list is very long. For instance the ball peens of old ball peen hammer heads can be forged into handled tools that are very useful such as center punches small hot punches . Old triangular saw files make great scribes. Old engineer hammers and small sledges can be reforged to provide good quality cross and straight peen hammers. Unfortunately most screw drivers are to small for most BS tooling.

Old hex (Alan) wrenches and old drill bits make good punches, chisels, chasing tools, etc. remember to make sure the struck end is tempered softer than the working end and keep it chamfered to avoid chips.

I've sure missed a lot in this thread. I love the dog hooks John and Bryan, your dog bottle openers are WAY cool too. All the bottle opener needs is to be bent out a bit so it can be screwed to a cabinet near the fridge so you don't have to go hunting your dog to open a brew.

On another note, we just had a fellow from North Pole sign onto the club YahooGroup. Looks like you may have a new playmate near you!

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, I sure had fun making them. I need to do some more simple but easy to complete projects like this. I hate not completing things and leaving them to later. One thing I thought of was just using epoxy or some other adhesive and just gluing a magnate onto it. It would have to be a pretty good one to stay on the fridge but it deffinatly could be done.

Its great we got another guy from North Pole. Hope we can get together soon.