I Forge Iron

Show me your Forge

Glenn

My Chiminea mesquite fueled forge, its temporary till my other forge is finished.  This was used to heat and quench a single blade.  I love mesquite so much, my 1.99 hair dryer blower and a little bit of scavenged exhaust pipe tubing, and of course a quench bucket.

post-41229-0-06155700-1368991423_thumb.j

I thought I had already posted to this thread, since I didnt here it is.  I used 2 pallets of brick and 12 feet of 12 inch tile, and 3/8 diamond plate for top and fire pot. Please notice the rr track anvil with measurements cut into side, I made a tape that wont melt !!

post-2529-0-99944900-1368993036_thumb.jp

post-2529-0-14255000-1368993047_thumb.jp

Here'e my new forge that I built today from scratch, and by scratch I really mean it. I welded many 1/4" plates to make the floor and many sheet for the walls. Took me more time than I thought...

Anyways, I'll fire this new baby probably tomorrow. It should works well because it has the same dimensions as before with my brick forge.

post-9026-0-86957200-1369689420_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-94360500-1369689438_thumb.jp

post-9026-0-37212200-1369689496_thumb.jp

Greetings Frosty/Neil/3pd,

Yea my shop is clean...    The forge is one I designed for a small area .  The lower chamber is  pressurized by the blower and air is routed to the firepot .  I can also route air to induce a draft by the valve on the side when green coal is added...  There is a venture blow pipe in the stack..  Woosshhh no smoke..

The ladies love my white shop and I do like the ladies..

Forge on

Jim

Here is my brake drum forge. 

photobucket-3435-1370288797954_zps9be71b

The fire tools are actually tied to the cross bar with string in this pic but I am making some S hooks for them to hang from. I will be using a blow dryer for air. 

Here is a better picture of the ash dump...

photobucket-14951-1350417804473.jpg

• 1 month later...

Been fiddling around with this variable length forge for some time,

Since the pictures I have increased the size of the holes and removed the galvanization from them. Been going well, but now found after a few hours forging the ash starts to build up in between the coke and seem to cool the fire slowly. Thinking I might make even bigger holes and an ash dump valve at the end of the regulating pipe to solve this issue.

Used some heat bricks to cut down on forge size and help with maintaining heat. Due to length of forge it makes heating long projects really easy, no crazy balancing games required.

No flue on it as I am outside and dont find my forge gives off much smoke anyways.

Enjoy, very open to criticism as I am trying something new out and would love to improve on my design.  

Been fiddling around with this variable length forge for some time,

Since the pictures I have increased the size of the holes and removed the galvanization from them. Been going well, but now found after a few hours forging the ash starts to build up in between the coke and seem to cool the fire slowly. Thinking I might make even bigger holes and an ash dump valve at the end of the regulating pipe to solve this issue.

Used some heat bricks to cut down on forge size and help with maintaining heat. Due to length of forge it makes heating long projects really easy, no crazy balancing games required.

No flue on it as I am outside and dont find my forge gives off much smoke anyways.

Enjoy, very open to criticism as I am trying something new out and would love to improve on my design.  

I love this, do you mind is I copy this design?

I love this, do you mind is I copy this design?

Thats why I put it up here, Its a give and take relationship on this site ;-)

thinking of adding a ash dump valve at the end of the pipe and bigger air holes to help the ash drop through into the pipe.

I thought I had already posted to this thread, since I didnt here it is.  I used 2 pallets of brick and 12 feet of 12 inch tile, and 3/8 diamond plate for top and fire pot. Please notice the rr track anvil with measurements cut into side, I made a tape that wont melt !!

I missed this one, looks good Steve