I Forge Iron

Slitter punch, opener, and drift video

Dave, You may want to mention where you got that information on your videos. Not because I want or need the credit, but because the method is not conventional. It is not in any books yet, and I have never seen a better way in the books or from other smiths. I did document it in the thread, "slitter Geometry", back in 2009, and I have been demontrating these types of punches since I first got around other blacksmiths in 1998. I also did a breif paper on these types of punches at Rob Edwards, editor of the Anvil's Ring, request back then. I have been punching all shapes of holes with these type of punches long before I was deomonstrating for the blacksmith organizations, and as far as I know this is original technique. But just because it has not been documented at large or just because i have never seen it before, does not mean that it wasn't done in the past. I would imagine it was done in the past before they started sharing information like we do today because it is what the forging gives you when you cut to the center with a hot cut hardy. I learned long ago to pay attention to what forging gives you and forge to finish. I would caution you on the use of "correct way" in your discriptive paragragh under the video on Youtube. It may be better to use something like "the best way that you have ever seen or tried" instead. Gerold Boggs brought up in Slitter Geometry that there is documentation of a chisel with a similar grind in the old German books, and Hofi has been using a chisel and sharing that method for a while now. These punches are not the same as a chisel, and they are used differently than the books say, and I hope to document why and how they work better with high speed photography in the future so that they may become conventional knowledge.

I edited the info in the description box below the video. In the future I'll put it on the video because if most viewers are like me, the don't read the descriptions. :D
The only reason I didn't put that information in the video is I didn't want to say "THIS IS BRIAN BRAZEAL'S TECHNIQUE" and you come on and say "WHAT??? that's not how I did it!" LOL
I am trying to work to implement the techniques I learned from you and to do them correctly.

This has been a sore point for a long time. It's the one of the main reasons I seldom post.
If you learned it from someone, credit that person. It's the proper and moral thing to do.

I couldn't agree more, only I do use caution about crediting someone before I know that I am doing justice to their teaching. I personally wouldn't want a student to come and learn something from me, then show a video where he butchers the technique, and then credit me with the technique. Then, anyone watching the video, thinks that I'm some sorry blacksmith teaching improper technique.

If I post a video showing a technique I learned from Brian and I execute the technique improperly and credit Brian in the video, then in the eyes of the viewer, Brian's technique is flawed. In actuallity it's my fault, but Brian gets credited for a sorry technique.

I credit everyone I've learned from or been inspired by over the years.

I use a Brent Bailey's centre punch, drift and chisel tools, as well as hammers, the technique is what it is, centre punch first, chisel, then drift, in that order, not sure who perfected the technique I use, but works great for me, I adopted it to fit my needs, my style of blacksmithing, my physique...so any new way of learning is appreciated as well as tool design, I would like to thank all that contribute on IFI and promote blacksmithing, thank you. P.S. I would love to spend an hour with Brian Brazeal, sign me up.

photo13.jpg

Thanks for the video, FieryFurnace.

I use a Brent Bailey's centre punch, drift and chisel tools, as well as hammers, the technique is what it is, centre punch first, chisel, then drift, in that order, not sure who perfected the technique I use, but works great for me, I adopted it to fit my needs, my style of blacksmithing, my physique...so any new way of learning is appreciated as well as tool design, I would like to thank all that contribute on IFI and promote blacksmithing, thank you. P.S. I would love to spend an hour with Brian Brazeal, sign me up.

photo13.jpg

Thanks for the video, FieryFurnace.

Nice looking tools!

If I've got you right, the slitter punch is on top, the opener in the middle, and the drift on the bottom. Why is the drift a single direction taper? I've used that style before, but it seems to me a double taper drift is easier to use as you just drive it all of the way instead of having to flip the stock over and tapping the drift out. Also seems like you'd have to regrind the working end of the drift sometimes.

I'd also love to see some pictures of the results these tools give you on a regular basis. Post them here! It would be good to have a reference point as to what tools and methods give you what results.