I Forge Iron

West Texas Coal Source?

Does anyone know of a coal or coke source in West Texas specifically Lubbock? I have looked high and low, checked the yellow pages, talked to the local farriers and farm supply stores and can not find anything.

I am beginning to think I will either have to use charcoal, corn, or have it shipped in.

Robb Gunter has some great coal, I've been using it for 4-5yrs now and really like it. It's gound to pea size hand has little clinker/ash. He lives in Tijeras, NM, about 5hrs from Lubbock. (you can contact him at www.g3blacksmithing.com . Jim Keith lives in Tucumcari, NM and may have coal or know where to get it close to you. Then there is the Saltfork Craftsmen ABA in Oklahoma, you have to be a member to buy their coal but it is priced cheap.

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I’m a member of the Saltfork Craftsman but their closet coal pile is about 7 hours one way. I took a class with the Gunter’s and their coal was great but it is 6 hours away. I was hoping for something a little closer so I did not have to buy such a large supply to make the trip worth while.

I was really hoping to find a source of coke locally as my situation would be better off with the least amount of smoke possible. The closest I have found is Texas Farrier Supply in Kennedale Texas which would be about 5 hours away. I am in that area several times a year anyway visiting family and friends. I think I will buy the coke when I’m out that way and use lump charcoal in the between times.

I have used TFS coal in the past. It is what we had at the Dallas Historical Village (Old City Park) and the stuff was not very good. Made a 'popcorn' like stuff. I also have purchased it for my home forge and got some good stuff, so I guess it is a crap shoot on what you get from them. I haven't used any of the Saltfork coal but have heard that it is good stuff. You just need to stock up on it when you got to the conf. this year! :P