I Forge Iron

Large Door Grill (progress pics)

Gayle Brooks

We have a very large door grill to do. 8' wide by 9' tall. Was going to share some progress pics of the project. I spent a good four days prototyping, making tooling, a full day on the layout, etc.

1/2 x 1 bar with 5/8" square holes slit and drifted

IMG_2447.jpg

IMG_2471.jpg

This is the lower section of the grill. There will be another slit and drifted bar that goes on top of the rings. The rings get a bronze collar (maybe brass) on the sides covering up that seam.

IMG_2476.jpg

Cant really see much of the layout from this pic but gives a better idea of scale. This is one half and I am laying out my materials for both sides.
IMG_2471.jpg

Using clay, figured out how to do this pyramid. The challenge was two halves of 5/8" bar were poking through. We decided to forge it down to 1/2" at the end and create a shoulder on the inside and a smaller point on the outside.
IMG_2406.jpg

Figuring out the jig. My original idea was not strong enough and parts where moving. There are two bars of 5/8" square ripped down the center and opened up each being half of the diamond shape.
IMG_2407.jpg

Prototype finished
IMG_2421.jpg

Some scroll work on top. A detail shot of the decorative piece that is inserted between the scrolls. This will also get a collar
IMG_2425.jpg

thanks!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using clay, figured out how to do this pyramid. The challenge was two halves of 5/8" bar were poking through. We decided to forge it down to 1/2" at the end and create a shoulder on the inside and a smaller point on the outside. IMG_2406.jpgFiguring out the jig. My original idea was not strong enough and parts where moving. There are two bars of 5/8" square ripped down the center and opened up each being half of the diamond shape. IMG_2407.jpg Prototype finished

Very dramatic photos...I do like black and white for iron.
Suggestion....if you are splitting the 5/8 square could you cut in the stock at a severe angle to where it is still 5/8 on one side and then down to the split....leaving the 5/8 for the rivet on one element and then doing the same on the other side (but leaving the parent stock thick for the other rivet) thus having both rivets from the parent stock...no need for forging to 1/2" or any other issues....I did not explain that well. Think about the stock split....now take a 2" length of the 5/8 and set it over your drifted pass through as if it were of the same stock....measure that and try one for fit.
Sorry Rory...I don't have the words to describe what I am thinking and you have a solution that looks quite stunning...

Ric

Thanks everyone :) Ill post more pics when something interesting happens. Right now just a lot of fitting, wire wheeling of textured material and filing...gah hate that F word

Danger Dillon: The triangle material is the 5/8" sq ripped in half on the diamond. I get some pics of that with that jig soon

Ric Furrer: I think I know what you are sayin. Sounds like leaving a 5/8" tip for the rivet and cut from the side and then down the center and hiding that transition in the hole. An idea Ill bring up with the boss!

Took some time to prototype some decorative elements for the center

This first one was 1" 1/4" sq bar at the 4" long that I started with. And final shape at the end.
7-3.jpg

1 1/14" square bar at 4" long forge upset tapers
1-15.jpg

Forged the ends down to start the 5 pointed taper and the center is forged down to 3/4" square
2-13.jpg

fullered on the diamond. The radius needed is very close to what these dies are at
3-10.jpg

Nearing the final stages
4-7.jpg

detail shot of the 5 pointed taper
5-6.jpg

where it lives.
6-4.jpg

But we decided for multiple reasons why this element just didnt fit. So I did another version that is a little smaller

4" of 1" bar

Left side shows the first step to help avoid the lips when forging tapers. Since I use a power hammer for this part I start a little behind the edge so mass pushes out instead of the outside collapsing and moving faster than the center.
1d-1.jpg

Both ends and the center forged down to 3/4"
1e.jpg

Fullered on the diamond for the radius of the scrolls
1f.jpg

And here we decided to go with the element on the right
1g.jpg

Thanks Frosty! :)

Some video of how I did the center diamonds. Since they are in halves this might make a little more sense

http://youtu.be/HiBVkKHErjw

Twisting 3 flats around slit and drifted hole. The tool in the vise helps control where the twist starts as well as keep it off the vise since its a great heat sink
1-16.jpg

The long skinny part on the center sits ontop of the jaws. Made a handle since it was getting warm. Ended up super quenching the end to help with a few more twists. If I do this again I am making this tool a bit more aggressive
2-14.jpg

Jig for the diamond halves
3-11.jpg

almost 80 pieces forged for this whole thing. Have materials for both doors here.
4-8.jpg

Marvelous stuff. This is the kind of thing I dream about doing in the future!
Really inspirational and its helpful to see how execute your design elements, so thanks for putting in all the photo's and the video's.

I shall keep watching this as it progresses!
Good luck with the rest of it.

Thanks for such nice compliments! Feel free to ask any questions or if I did not explain something. I like these kind of topics since it shows how much work goes into a piece. With the amount of sharing, ideas and content, I am wanting to see just how they did it. Which only builds on the life of the project instead of its final resting place.

I had a fireplace door that got put on hold while we were waiting for some details. The project is now live and this grill will be put on hold for about a week. The last thing I did was start on the mounting plates that mount to the face of the door. Straight forward plate with a grooved line. A video of our tooling under the hammer as well.

Mark the top radius cold and then I do it hot by hand
1-17.jpg

Groovin
http://youtu.be/pi_6r2LL23s