I Forge Iron

Sleeping in my shop with my Church window anvil

I have always wanted a church window anvil and last week I was browsing ebay and there just happened to be a sweet one. I sat an oggeled the thing for an hour or so and for some reason I decided to place a bid. It is kinda like buying a lotto ticket it lets you dream that maybe you will be the big winner. I went to bed that night thinking of where in the living room to put this thing and then I forgot about it. I didnt now I won until my loving wife screamed what the hell did you just buy. She saw the email come in, Her screams jogged my memory and it was all I could do not to jump around the living room like a 6 year old boy at christmas. I had to restrain my joy and fein regret and remorse but inside I bursting, I cant believe I have one and it will be here in about a week, it is coming from michigan. I will post some pics when it gets here. It is stamped with a date of 1817 and has decorations on it.

So How far is Michigan from you? Pretty far from here in East TEXAS, but to Frosty it's just a hop, skip, and a jump. Now if you are in Aussie Land then I'd say that's pretty far indeed.....so where are you...and no, I'm not coming to steal it away from you :D Hope your wife gets over it before next week. OH, and good for you! can't wait to see pix

I saw that one too, congratulations on your purchase!!! Shipping must just about equal purchase price these days of high fuel cost. Shipping from Michigan to Tucson, AZ. I guess you can always call Harold to come over and help you get it off the truck, right? Now don't stub your toes on it. ^_^

Shipping was only 90 bucks, lucky for me my wife doesnt hold a grudge she is over it and has moved on. I dont think this is an anvil that I am worthy of hitting so I will just keep it safe for the next generation. I have a 200lbs buddin in the living room right now that is perfect I dont think it was ever used. I will put this one on a nice stand and it will sit on the other side of the room kinda to balance things out. If any one know how to post a pic of it that would be cool since I have no clue.

hi kpotter you had thread some time ago with a vid when you were making an anvil,i think the thread ended as you were wating to have it hard faced?sory to tag this on here but would love an update on the project thanks mat.

I have been real busy making the silversmithing stakes and have not had a chance to finish them. I pulled it out the other day to show my friend Harlold who does all my welding. We are going to weld an AR400 plate to it. I want it to be 100% welded so we will have to mess with it a bit. I will post some pics when it is done.

bentiron :( dont be distressed !! you just need to make your photos smaller, MUCH smaller in pixel size than you would have thought... i dont know what it all means really, and i cant pretend i do, but my son showed me where my photo was about 3500 (?!!..) you can reduce them to about 40, and then it will upload. its such a tedious subject though, that having bored 7 shades out of myself, i now want to go and open up MY veins...........

When I married I was very careful to choose a wife that had a consuming passion for her craft *and* that it wasn't the same craft as myself. She quite understands why I need another anvil when I have a bunch to hand just as I understand why she needs another spinning wheel when she has a bunch of them already.

Now being different crafts we have to spit the spending money *but* she is never hogging my equipment or shop space and if the worst would happen she would have no interest in *my* tools.

27.5 years and counting! She jokes with me that the only thing she would want in a divorce would be a shovel because she would just inherit *ALL* the stuff anyway. Works for me.