I Forge Iron

Recent projects

Hi bigfoot,
Snipe hinges are a bit like split pins in form but drawn down to a point, the heads loop together and one end is passed through the lid of a box or chest from the underside ( the lid usually overhangs the back slightly) the two ends are then turned out in opposite directions and clenched over like a nail.
The other end of the hinge goes into the back of the box/chest pointing down about 45 degrees and the ends are spread and clenched over on the inside.They really seem to have taken off in the 16th and 17th centuries onwards, if you look at old boxes/chests you often find remains of snipes or their fitting holes where they have worn out and replaces with ordinary hinges.

Similar idea to these "Viking" style hinges made under guidance from some Viking reenactors on a fun weekend some years ago

post-816-0-68423300-1333316459_thumb.jpg post-816-0-28310900-1333316475_thumb.jpg

No nailholes are punched in these samples yet, should have been done before fitting them together, It was the design principle we were establishing from a verbal description of a picture from an early Viking find

Interesting lock-plate and hinges; the name 'snipe' is perfectly descriptive. The fireplace looks well done too; the heart motif was very popular until the end of the Eitheenth Century here in the UK, a bit later in North America. I think it is good to see it being used more often nowadays, it is a very natural decoration for a smith to use.

Real nice work.
Did you make the bars that support the log removable? I made a grate for my wood stove out of 3/4 square bar but did not make it removable but welded it together and then welded the end on the stove and now 5 years later the grate is completely eaten away. I have a job to replace it now.

MOblacksmith
All of the main frame is riveted and tennoned. The actual grate part is a seperate piece that is just arc welded together, I look on this bit as disposable so in the event of it burning out a new section could be just dropped in.

its so beautiful wayne! the fire looks perfect in your grate - i totally love hearts, they are indeed perfectly naturally lending themselves to a blacksmiths work. the lock looks amazing, love the pretty details, looks like a fiddley thing to make - its very cool!