I Forge Iron
snailbrand

Thomas Smith & Sons, Saltley

I recently shared  4 days of peace and fettling with my brother-in-law down Melbourne (Australia) way. He had inherited a range of tools from his very practical father and grandfather. Of course there were Stanley and Record planes, Disston, Spear & Jackson saws, Stanley and Ward mortise chisels and to the point 5 Thos Smith & Sons paring chisels. Tho advertising reveals a broad range of spanners, hammers and axes, I was hoping to get some information on the range of chisels manufactured and hoped the centenary book, Margaret 'Snailbrand'  or J.L.C. might be able to give more info or resources. Happy to post photos should they be of interest.

Jacobeen 

Thought the significance of paring chisels marked "THOS. SMITH & SONS O'SALTLEY L/D, probably marketed in Australia, could have been at least interesting to parties studying company history and might have provided information about these heirlooms.

Jacobeen

Welcome to IFI Jacobeen. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Are you located in Australia? There are a great bunch of smith's here from down under. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/7176-oz-roll-call/If you have done any reading here, you probably know we love pictures.

Thank you and have perused that post. Will be going back to continue restoration work and may well find more snails among a very large collection of spanners etc.

Jacobeen

P1010146 Thomas Smith paring chisel.JPG

Hi 

I worked in the forge in coleshill I learnt to stamp ( make forgoing son the hammers) at this forge I worked there from 1979 - 1981 the first time and then 1986-1989 the second started on 800lb board hammer ended up on one of the 3000 lb board hammers

Dennis Sanders

Welcome aboard Dennis, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Will you tell us more about Coleshill, maybe share pictures if you have any? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi there. We have discovered a large amount of documentation regarding the Smith family and Snail Brand. Scrapbooks, wills and genealogy etc.. I dont know if this would be of any interest to you.. ? Regards.. Elliott.. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/itETTuga1pMDp25N8