I Forge Iron

a little time at the forge yesterday

My favorite kind of holiday from work, not observed by the wife or the kid.

Got a few hours of forging time in, and was able to try out a scroll on a batch of scrolling jigs I got from another smith moving her shop. Never done much scroll work, this was fun, but surprising in how much stock even a small scroll takes.

Also tried out making a sash light style candle holder. Think I'll use thinner stock for the candle cup next time, maybe slightly narrower stock for the base, but it was at was at hand.

post-182-0-91100000-1333239724_thumb.jpg

Those are both nice pieces. Well done. I have a pattern for candles cup pieces and I cheated I had my brother in law burn them out on a laser and now all I have to do it to heat em up and shape them the chaping process usually gives then enough texture to make them look good and I can sell them and make a PROFIT,

Thank you, it was fun to make. I think I got the idea from here

http://www.blacksmithing.org/Articles/Find.aspx

Florida Artists Blacksmith Assoc magazine archive. Great resource, if any FABA members are here. Must be hot in front of a forge in the Sunshine State.

About the amount of stock for a scroll: If you lay finished scroll on a piece of paper and trace a round it,,then write down dimensions including starting size of stock and finished dimensions of the scroll it will prove valuable for the future. Even if you have to fold that paper up to fit in your shop notebook. As you make more you may find that your size needed may be a little bit less but you can adjust notes for that later.