Sign in to follow this  
P. Bedard

How much do you pay for coal?

12.00 per 50 lb bag of PA low sulfer/low ash blacksmithing coal.

I'm told from this site that is too much. I buy loads of it anyhow. It is local.

I paid $100 for 480 lbs at Streat Fuel in Flint, MI.  It was an eight hour drive, but I was going to visit family nearby anyway.  Doesn't coke up very well, fairly high ash.  Not as bad as the coal I had been using before, which was actually from an abandoned blacksmith shop (it was a rural farm, I guess he took what he could get), and not nearly as good as the coal I got at Quad State several years ago. 

I got #200 for $25 so $250 a ton for Utah Bituminous here ins western WA. I want to say the price was .12  a lbs which would come out to $240 + tax per ton. I haven't used much, and it's the my first forge so I don't know if it's good or not. It gets hot enough to burn metal, not to much ash, but I've had some issues with clinkers, but that could just be user error. but it seems to be decent stuff.

I picked up half a ton of coal semi locally( about and hour each way) straight from the mine in southern Illinois. $25.25 which was a way better price over what I had previously bought. $20 for 3 50 pound bags.
~The Mad Rabbit

i am paying $30cdn/50lb bag of good coal, $25/bag for coke, i like the coal better... it is about a 7 hour round trip

I pay 27$/100lbs of coal (bagged in 50lbs). It is south-west of Montreal. It is at H. Riendeau Inc. I think it's less than 7 hours from Norwood. Maybe you could get a try. He said that he tried almost all of the mines in USA and that he found the best quality coal now and stick with the same place. I use this coal an it is very nice. Very little clinkers and easy to control the smoke. Upper Canada Village's blacksmith shop in Morrisburg used to buy their coal from him too... at least, the last time I visited the place.

Where do you take yours?

Oh well nevermind. I misread "round" trip. I just realized that round trip means back and forth... lol English is not my primary language...

Paid $42 for 300#' last Friday. It isn't premium grade coal but it works just fine. We just drive up and load as much as we want into old feed sacks and they weigh the truck on the way out. One of the side benefits of living in Kentucky.... besides the bourbon.

I live in florida and have to drive 3 hours to the barberville pioneer settlement to buy coal for $35 per 100lb bag. I really do wish I could find a closer supplier.

Lmao you guys are funny I mine coal in my backyard but when I buy 50lb bags it's not even a mile away and it's $8 for the good xxxx I love my life Lol 

IFI does not tolerate sweating

Miner4life.  Back yard coal mining. Wow  We at IFI love pictures. We would like some pics of that operation. 

Just paid $25/50# for coke. If I can ever get it delivered, Kimmel's nut anthracite will be $300/ton

20160626_115718.jpg