I Forge Iron

How much do you pay for coal?

I paid $100 for 480 lbs at Streat Fuel in Flint, MI.  It was an eight hour drive, but I was going to visit family nearby anyway.  Doesn't coke up very well, fairly high ash.  Not as bad as the coal I had been using before, which was actually from an abandoned blacksmith shop (it was a rural farm, I guess he took what he could get), and not nearly as good as the coal I got at Quad State several years ago. 

I got #200 for $25 so $250 a ton for Utah Bituminous here ins western WA. I want to say the price was .12  a lbs which would come out to $240 + tax per ton. I haven't used much, and it's the my first forge so I don't know if it's good or not. It gets hot enough to burn metal, not to much ash, but I've had some issues with clinkers, but that could just be user error. but it seems to be decent stuff.

I picked up half a ton of coal semi locally( about and hour each way) straight from the mine in southern Illinois. $25.25 which was a way better price over what I had previously bought. $20 for 3 50 pound bags.
~The Mad Rabbit

i am paying $30cdn/50lb bag of good coal, $25/bag for coke, i like the coal better... it is about a 7 hour round trip

I pay 27$/100lbs of coal (bagged in 50lbs). It is south-west of Montreal. It is at H. Riendeau Inc. I think it's less than 7 hours from Norwood. Maybe you could get a try. He said that he tried almost all of the mines in USA and that he found the best quality coal now and stick with the same place. I use this coal an it is very nice. Very little clinkers and easy to control the smoke. Upper Canada Village's blacksmith shop in Morrisburg used to buy their coal from him too... at least, the last time I visited the place.

Where do you take yours?

Paid $42 for 300#' last Friday. It isn't premium grade coal but it works just fine. We just drive up and load as much as we want into old feed sacks and they weigh the truck on the way out. One of the side benefits of living in Kentucky.... besides the bourbon.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Almost 50 euros for this bag 25kg or 50lbs, 35 + 12.90 in shipping. Actually it's less than 25kg, the post office label specified the weight and it was 23 kilos with an additional packaging box so obviously not filling them as much as he should.... But it's the sole place in Finland that sells coke in small quantities. Does the quality look good at least to the experts here?

b3xdoz2.jpg

5QfNRwg.jpg

I could get .85 metric tons (a big bag that fits on a EUR pallet) for 860 euros from a place up north, supposed to be same size as the above. But at least a hundred more for shipping I gather so almost 1000 euros for .85 tons. That's 1873 lbs so around 53 euro cents per pound. But that's quite a lot for someone just starting smithing, and has no place to store that amount of coal either.

I have no place to store large amounts of coal/coke either. Which is why I stuck to buying a 50 lb bag from CF. Now, they do offer some discounts on multiple bags. And if I want to make the 4.5ish hour drive up to their location, I can get them even cheaper ($29.99/50lb bag vs $65 after taxes for shipped). 

I pay US$33 per 50 pound bag of either Pocahontas coal or coke at a farrier supply place about 100 miles away.  When you live in Wyoming anything 100 miles or less is considered local.

Look for farrier supply places in northern Illinois on your favorite search engine.  Not all of them carry coal and coke but some do.  Also, some ag supply paces, e.g. Tractor Supply, Murdock's, Big R, etc.  will carry coal and coke as part of their equine/farrier supply lines.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Well as the local coal has been reported as being good for smithing; I'd be willing to buy 5 tons at that rate!   Unfortunately the underground mines were shut down a long time ago and local land owners are not very willing to have folks scrounge fuel.