I Forge Iron

ringing the anvil for a dead friend

divermike

I rang mine 3 times, along with my brother who also rang it 3 times, and our new brother in law who also added 3 strokes. I thought 3 was sufficient, being one strike for each past present and future. I also think of my dad every time I work, and add a stroke at the end of the day to remember him.

I suggest using a number that has some significance . One stroke per year of life could get to be long with Uncle Herb who lived to 112...

Also it is probably important to suggest not a super hard strike, a good bouncy anvil could send someone to the ER.

I tend to toll my anvil closer to the heel where is "sings", and would probably remove any chain or ring deadening devices for the ceremony.

You have my sympathies,
Cliff

well thanks for all the answers, I am going to do a special memorial at our next meet. We have 5 anvil stations set up, so I am going to get 4 others in joining me for simultaneous ringing 12 strokes, which will be 60, the age he passed! And a moment of silence to follow, I believe he would have liked that very much. I believe his son and grandson will be there to witness, I may have the grandson join me in my hammer strokes, we will see. once again, thanks for all the comments, that too Eric would have appreciated.

• 1 month later...

We did the ceremony for Eric, 5 people ringing 12 times, here is a pic of the event and one of his grandson ringing while I looked on. Good thing my buddy Dick, (Seldom on this site), took the pic from behind, I was holding in some serious sobs.

post-4158-0-39147800-1337622388_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-66233900-1337622389_thumb.jp