I Forge Iron

Is silicon bronze available as 1/4" welding rod?

jcornell

I've been playing with silicon bronze lately after picking up some welding/brazing rods. It seems the largest size available locally is 1/8" - does anyone know if it's manufactured in larger diameters? I can always buy rod at the specialty metal shops, but they are very, very pricy, so I figured it would be cheaper if it was in tig/brazing rod form.

Any suggestions?

http://www.google.com/search?q=sil+bronze+billits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=1/4+silicon+bronze+welding+rod&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gdt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&psj=1&ei=B59wT8XPPMjItgetrb2oBg&ved=0CJcBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e8048b7957024c54&biw=1920&bih=950

http://www.google.com/search?q=sil+bronze+billits&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=1/4+silicon+bronze+welding+rod&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=gdt&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsb&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&psj=1&ei=B59wT8XPPMjItgetrb2oBg&ved=0CJcBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=e8048b7957024c54&biw=1920&bih=950

Thanks, there's a source there that's somewhat reasonable.

Evidently Harris makes a 1/4" silicon bronze rod, its part number is 03SIB90, a ten pound box. I can't seem to find anyone who carries it, but I'm not done looking.

Any welding supply will be able to order that stuff. 1/8 is most common, at least every welding supply (including the current one) I've worked for carry it. It's very expensive, and going up every day it seems. I've got about 30lbs of .045 wire that was a reject. I was thinking of using is for casting a bronze dagger or something. What are you doing with it?

Try Aufhauser Corp. 800-645-9468. Last time I ordered, about this time of year in 09, I paid $6.00 a lb. . You have to order at least 50 lbs of each size you want. If you just need a small amount to try e-mail me and I will send you some, you are close to where I live. I have many sizes above the 1/8. Too many to list so I will just jump to the upper end 1/4 - 5/16 - 3/8. Doug artisans@spruceforest.org
If you order from Aufhauser you need to tell them you want the Low Fuming Bare Bronze Brazing Rod. They make many different types, some of them will crumble when you hit it at low red heat. Or you are welcome to drive a couple hours west and come to my shop. I will give you a few pointers and you can pick up the rod.