I Forge Iron

I recently came across a set of Oxy- Acetylene tanks that was too good of a deal to pass up. The welding supply house's out here charge outrageous fees every time you get your tanks filled. You have the inspection fee and the "hazardous material fee" (that gets tacked on to just about everything they sell) then there is tax of course, it all adds up. So with the big kid tanks I will have to fill up less often= less fees.
So I built myself a cart for my new tanks, this was built from stuff I had laying around. Every thing was salvaged material that went into this build. I used the Hossfeld Bender for the pipe (1/2 inch sch 40.)
post-10376-0-53867200-1332773984_thumb.jpost-10376-0-86487300-1332774016_thumb.jpost-10376-0-21868700-1332774020_thumb.j

My first thought on this was " So, it's an Oxy/Act cart, big deal" THEN I read your text and saw that YOU built it. Very nice job, actually better than 'store bought'. The only thing is that to get by OSHA you need to have a partition between the 2 bottles that extends above the highest regulator. And I think it needs to be 1"---that can be fabbed with 1/8" matr'l.

I think you maybe mistaken? I have never seen a partition on a indoor cart? only off road carts have partitions that I have seen. we have several at our shop that have none partition and OHSA has never even mentioned them?

Luck you! All of ours have to have them, either inside or off road. We have several that we pull behind our trucks here in the plant and then those that we can cart around the shop when needed. Even the staionary ones in each of our welding stalls have the partition. Granted, it may not be an OSHA law but they seem to think so here! I work for Eastman Chem., a rather large company and they problably have made the requirment but we are told it is OSHA....Whatever the case we have them

I guess it doesn't hurt to be safe. I work in a big plant to and have an extensive safety back ground. that's why I questioned it. all of our shops have to have safety permits just to grind and make sparks if you are not in a designated area(welding shop). seems they prefer not to blow things up lol.

Yeah, us too. "Lock out - Tag out" . They even have designated smoking areas and don't get caught liting up anywhere else but in that little roped off area! Fortunatly that is not a prob with me. I will check with our resident OSHA guy and find out what the 'law' is in regards to bottle carts. We go to church together so won't take too long to find out.

Thanks for the positive comments and suggestions guys. I doubt that I will ever get a osha inspection in my back yard.
I do not consider myself to be much of a fabricator, but it was rewarding to go out to the shop with an idea in my head of what I wanted to build. Make a sketch, find material that will work (just barely enough pipe, had to piece in one part), cut; bend; weld, and there you have it. Nothing fancy but it will do the job. And I saved a ton of money, this size cart lists for $176.95 plus tax $15.48= $192.43. That is a lot of beer money
JM- "Tank inspection" fee is like $4.00, something that I had never noticed before, so I asked the sales rep about it (I was getting a couple of acetylene tanks) and he tells me ,"Oh ya we have always done that, we have to be sure the tanks are still good" 4 bucks to look at a tank? Cmon man yer killing me!