I Forge Iron

Fireside Companion Set

Greenbeast

Nice clean looking piece, only a minor questionable point is the twists on the tongs, they don't look as if they were made for this set,

I will try to explain my reason.

You have contra twists of half a turn on all the other components,

On the tongs you have full twists and although they match the twist flow on the other components, they look slightly out of kilter as there are more twists for the length of section compared with the other twisted decorations

However so long as you and the customer are happy, then it's my problem, still a nice piece.

You're completely right, and i've just noticed the stand's twist is the wrong way round also :(

The reason for the full twists is that i forged the reins, jaws and hinge area first and then twisted, i'm sure you can guess the rest......
The annoying thing is that they're the second pair i made for this project too :blink:

I like the set! I would make one suggestion to improve it though. Even though you have a four way split at the top and a four sided bar as stock I would like to see a three legged design at the base. This is because three legged it would set without wobble, even on uneven surfaces... as are often found in the hearth areas. You could transition the main stock to triangular at the bottom and then slit or just leave it square and make three rectangular slits which could forge out into whatever type feet are desired. Or just pull one foot up and twine it about the main stock or make a leaf etcetera and then spread the other three to make a nice tripod footer.

Yes this is something that was pointed out to me yesterday by my step-dad. I guess i wasn't sure it three legs would work with the four arms

You already have four feet and five arms,

Two to the rear and one to the front will work, but make sure they are well spread outside the perimeter of where the tools hang, or they can topple easily, and the look can also depend on which tool goes where.

Still a nice job though, and a lot to be learnt from it.

Thanks for showing and offering it for comments (I think thats what you did although its not in the critique section)

Lovely work there Greenbeast. Really unique design! I like the nice, smooth flowing lines of the piece.

The finish looks great as well. Did you just wire wheel it, then coat with beeswax?
I may have to steal the finish for a poker I made recently.

Input from the more experienced members is helping me as well as you too.

Did you use a swage block to form the shovel, or free form it? I was wondering about this in work today!

Very nice set, clean, well formed and proportioned.

Aside from three feet I have only one suggestion and it may not matter. The hooks on the stand are points, blunt but still pointing straight outwards. A person could fall against one or knock it over on a foot. I don't think they'd do much damage, still. A small finial scroll would solve my one concern such as it is.

Thank you for posting the pics, they and the comments are good conversation.

Frosty The Lucky.

You already have four feet and five arms,

Two to the rear and one to the front will work, but make sure they are well spread outside the perimeter of where the tools hang, or they can topple easily, and the look can also depend on which tool goes where.

Still a nice job though, and a lot to be learnt from it.

Thanks for showing and offering it for comments (I think thats what you did although its not in the critique section)

There is only 4 arms and 4 feet
Yes i did want comments, but felt the critique section may have been more brutal :D

Lovely work there Greenbeast. Really unique design! I like the nice, smooth flowing lines of the piece.

The finish looks great as well. Did you just wire wheel it, then coat with beeswax?
I may have to steal the finish for a poker I made recently.

Input from the more experienced members is helping me as well as you too.

Did you use a swage block to form the shovel, or free form it? I was wondering about this in work today!

Thanks, Literally just wheeled it, no wax.

I free formed it, my first time too! I put the flat face of one of my ball pein hammers into my hardy hole to give me a ball to work the corners over.
:)

Very nice set, clean, well formed and proportioned.

Aside from three feet I have only one suggestion and it may not matter. The hooks on the stand are points, blunt but still pointing straight outwards. A person could fall against one or knock it over on a foot. I don't think they'd do much damage, still. A small finial scroll would solve my one concern such as it is.

Thank you for posting the pics, they and the comments are good conversation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, you are quite right, and i just looked back at my original sketch and it includes finial scrolls :(

Man, this place opens your eyes to your failings that's for sure!! :rolleyes:

:)

What failings? We learn from our mistakes sure, we should all hold multiple PHDs. None of us get everything just right and fresh eyes see different things. I've never gotten something perfect, there are always things I could've done better or differently for a better result. Get used to it. <wink>

Frosty The Lucky.

As Frosty says, they aren't failings, merely a point to build on,

My Mistake with the five arms,

Looking at the first picture the tongs appear to be hung from two of the curls, closer inspection reveals I was wrong

Normally I would hold tongs from double hooks (split one arm end) as they can otherwise dangle out of kilter, and I wrongly assumed you had done the same.

I would also position them at the front with a three leg base seems easier on the eye

Not trying to be brutal, just trying to add others experiences which may or may not be helpful or useful.

Stiil a nice piece of work.

Thanks very much, definitely very helpful and i'm not too stubborn to fail to listen to sage advice being offered.

I'm planning to do another identical one very shortly to build on these tips and also improved speed of working

It initially wasn't a long split of course because those arms and legs are tapered quite a bit

BUT!!

I was wasting too much time trying to do a combo of thin disc cut and hot cutting and was making a mess, even when i got one end split it was taking forever to taper because i could only work one arm at a time (my power hammer was not working correctly at the time)

SO...

I cheated, well and truely, i got 8 lengths of 12mm square stock and tapered them all, then i stick welded the ends together (over about 100mm of length) and then i prepped and welded the arm set and leg set to the previously prepared twisted 25mm stock.

I'm such a fraud :(

Once undertaken however, this was the only reasonable way of getting it finished and the product delivered.

I really disagree with you when you use the word "fraud". I come from the school that believes you do what is necessary and what you are capable of doing and want to do. I use my tig and mig welders when I need to and like using as many tools in a day as I can. I like your work no matter what you used. I just wanted to know how you did it in case I want to do the same thing.

greenbeast it looks great! i agree with john about the twists, but like he said (or implied) its not the end of the world, its still a nicely made very functionable set, and im sure your customer is delighted! this is the kind of work people expect from a "blacksmith" i think, and as for fraud, we all know thats not a rational thought, just a paranoia we all feel at certain points with certain things we do, due to very "high" unrealistic impractical ideals we set ourselves born out of our upbringing culture parents story books whatever! the work looks good, bet its nice to touch and hold, youve made a beautiful lasting set there. nice one. :)

Really appreciate that. I agree that when in business you just have to use whatever skills and tools available to get things done.

I guess a lot of the guys just do it as a hobby, whereas i'm hoping to make a transition in the next couple of years to full time.

Thanks for you comments