I Forge Iron

garden bits

Nice work Beth. The bold textures are very apealing to the eyes. I think that a woman blacksmith offering her original hand forged works would be irresistable to most of the public.
Sure to be a hit. Good luck with your sales . Awsome that you provide your daughter with the opportunity to express herself by creating things from her own ideas. You rock!

I just went back and looked these over again. I am impressed with the leaves that you've made! I do see some of the dreaded "hammer marks" on some of the pieces!!!!! As you know if you've been following some of my posts I regard these as an artistic expression but there are those on the forum that think they are signs of ill breeding, rudeness, lack of toilet training etc! I am just poking them all a little, in fun, I hope.

thanks all of you :)
big foot - yes i quite like the marks, for me its like drawing, where i dont always want it to look like a computor print out, and i will deliberately sharpen pencils unevenly to introduce more randomness, aids expression i reckon :) i dont always want the whole process to be conciously thought, as well, which is more difficult to achieve in bsmithing than other things i do! i CAN do work that is smooth, (although it takes considerabley more patience from me as well as time, as i have not been doing it all that long..) but i dont always want it. on the other thread i was talking about this indirectly, and decided that the spirals at the end of the otherwise fairly rough forms i was making needed to be a lot less randomly hit to keep a nice line. i think as artists the choice is ours, and i think that goes for practical applications like knives too - so long as the function is up to scratch, and marks are there because you chose them to be not you couldnt get rid of them. totally different things apply while your learning obviously, and anything your making is progress, but for a professional product, finish should be a choice. :)

hi randy - sale started wed, but is mainly this and next weekend, im not sure how it will go, did a couple of rose trellis things too, which i hope i can sell, the bits ive sold have been people i know so far, but we shall see. people are preferring the nicer textured work which is good news, becasue i dont enjoy making the other! not so much anyway. hopefully i might get a commision or two for that kind of looking stuff. thanks for asking :)

• 2 months later...