I Forge Iron

KZ150 Power Hammer build

Thanks Danger. The sword or wiper style has a few less parts. Both styles accomplish the same task. The system I am using is just more adaptable to my design of hammer frame. I also modified the linkage somewhat so that I could control the hammer with the treadle and eliminate the need for a hammer driver.

P.S. Is anyone else having problems uploading pictures?? I keep getting an upload skipped(error403)

P.S. Is anyone else having problems uploading pictures?? I keep getting an upload skipped(error403)

Yes. I've found if you get the file size down around 117k they will go. Try setting your camera on the lowest resolution, back up say 20 ft if you're shooting something big like a PH, crop the heck out of it and the file size gets pretty small after that....Lotsa luck

I love the new horizontal slide bar you get when the basic uploader fails.... :mellow:

Hey Danger, I would think that there would be a way to control a steam hammer with a treadle, but for me having a treadle instead of a hammer driver would depend on the work to be done under the hammer. I think a treadle would work fine for smaller forgings or maybe some open die work but for larger stock I would much rather have a competent hammer operator so that I can keep both feet on the ground and underneath me.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ken, nice video showing the incredible control you achieved :wub:
May I ask a few more questions ?
How was le linkage set up during the video, 'treadle hammer mode' or 'half way - general forging' ?
Is there a kind of bumper to stop the ram at the end of the up-stroke or is the cylinder cushion enough ?

And the last one is for everybody...
Having Ken's quality of control on a hammer what do you think that throttling at the same time that modifying the length/speed of reciprocation with the linkage would add ? Do you think of a particular task ?
On a 'spool valve/top pilot' controlled hammer the treadle throttles the exhaust modifying the speed an length of reciprocation as well, no ?
Kind of belt and braces ?
What am I missing here ?

Anyway I admire the work you've done Ken ;)

The hammer is set in the general forging mode with the air pressure at about 100psi and the throttle valve set at it's lower setting. Right now I have a 1-1/2" air cushion and it seems to work fine but it would not be to difficult to put an external bumper on this style of hammer.