I Forge Iron

Suggestions for making folded flag presentation case

Need to make two triangle folded flag presentation cases. I attached a photo of wooden case for refererence. It needs to have a recessed lip to hold the glass and the sides will need to be about 1.5" wide to accomodate the bulk of the flag and the backing board. Thought about making the frame out of 1.5" angle iron and then plating the front with a decorative pieces to 'hide' the fact that it's angle iron. These cases are six months overdue because I've lacked the vision. I've tried a couple of treaments but they just weren't 'inspired'. I thought about using tenons for the 3 corners but have no idea how to pull that off with a triangle. All suggestions welcomed......Keith

post-2552-0-93053400-1332288649_thumb.jp

Tenon the 90 degree corner, hinge or slide for the long side so you can get into it.

That's all I got right now.

Phil

Got another: put tabs in to capture the glass, before assembly. Then just use glazing putty or silicone caulk for securing.

You can make them 2-sided (glass on both sides) with a fancy hasp type of closure and a hinge.

Decoration can be simple chasing

OK, now I think that is all I have.

Phil

You can plasma or laser cut anything into the front (forward) surface of the metal you wish, name DOD etc. I would use a gouge method rather than cutting clear through so it does not collect dirt, and no dirt gets inside. Small thin scrolling in the corners. You also have the two sides you can inscribe.

To me, this seems more like an opportunity for lighter, more ornate scroll-work, rather than a heavy-handed piece.

Perhaps an equilateral triangle, of about 14 gauge steel strapping, with some chasing, damasking or stippling on the exposed surface, ... and some scroll, or vine & leaf at the corners, to retain the glass ?

Soldered Copper and Brass, in a similar design, would age well, without damaging the flag.

I think I would make it where the flag stand was just like what is in the picture as far as shape and presentation. I would then take Phil's idea and make both front and back "windowed" so that the case can be sat in the center of a table if desired and the flag seen on both sides.

Then do like Smoothbore suggested and possibly use some light scrolls across the bottom of the case. Possibly incorporate the scrolls into a stand of sorts that the case sits down into. Personally I can say this but lack the vision of what I would do via the scrolls so I think I would just put feet on the bottom panel.

Make the bottom panel removable via screws since they only have to support a flag this should be fairly easy. A hinge can be used if desired but I think it would need to be secured via a screw so that anyone moving it didn't accidentally drop the flag out.

If any Names or DOB-DOD type things are requested I believe I would accomplish that with a stencil and glass etching solution/spray or glass frosting paint and just put it on the glass. There are tons of scroll stencils for painting on small things like this that you could use.

For other ideas it might help to know if this flag is of any significance I.E. are they from a fallen soldier? A retired soldier? A flag that was flown during a mission and given to a friend etc. I don't know about anyone else but this translates how I might design it. If its not a fallen soldier I might use the bottom of old shell casings as feet, but I wouldn't do anything of the sort if it were a memorial design, I just think it would be in poor taste then. Also, if its not a memorial design you might create stencils or dip the piece in wax and scrape off a design and etch the case itself with a vine or something.

Hope this helps.

These are for stateside folks that supported the surveillance program that I was a part of while working in Afghanistan. I have some campaign coins that I could use on the corners. I should have mention that these will be wall mounted though I like Phil's suggestion to make it two sided. Anyone who has folded a flag knows it's extremely difficult to get right. I had an honor guard member helping me and we couldn't even get close. Turned out the flags weren't square even though the were supposed to be 'presentation quality' flags. So going to use what's called a false fold that just shows the stars and the rest of the flags is bunched up behind that. Smoothbore's idea for chasing made me think about making a star shaped punch from tool steel that I have and then put the light scroll work on the bottom. OK now to the forge this weekend thx,,,,,,,,

Keith;

This may not work for you but since I am a woodworker too I would make the box of ironbound wood I think. I did a toolbox tote like that for my wife as a Christmas present and it is still the kind of thing that looks amazingly good even several years later! I made a bunch of handmade nails to secure the steel straps and most of them were clenched. I did some curly ferny leaf ends on some of the straps and they look SO nice! I am thinking some nice strap corners and maybe a nice piece of hanging hardware and just some antique looking old planks and you'd have a box that might generate many requests for more of them! Wood and metal make fine partners! Make them with the general feel of an old campaign chest or some such thing and when combined with the flag and memories they'll trigger powerful nostalgic feelings that will cause people to love them whenever they notice them!